• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M444-M445-ANJ4

blanik98

Hi I'd finally like to understand the difference between M444 M445 and ANJ4.
Is there anyone who kindly willing to explain me please. Thanks in advance. Ciao Mario

dadgad

The M444 was thinner, longer and with a smallest collar compared to M445 in all its variations, the ANJ4 is the last version of those kind of jackets and has a bigger collar a thicker fleece and is short to the waist.

Roughwear

The M444 and M445 were purely naval fleece jackets and the ANJ-4 was designed for both the USAAF and the navy. Many of the differences are apparent on John Chapman's Flight Jacket CD.

blanik98

Thanks you very much.
I'm a collector of Regia Aeronautica militaria: Italian pilots didn't have leather jacket but they put on the legendary Marus jacket or Marus flying suit. If you ever need any help regarding that dont' hesitate to contact me.
Ciao Mario

Silver Surfer

beg to differ. i have a hlb m445a that is not only in rock solid condition, it is every day wearable. no flaking, no fur loss, and the original talon works perfectly. it is a size 40, and fits as such, with overlapping shoulder seams, and it is 24" from collar seam to bottom [back].

blanik98

Thanks you very much for your prompt and comprehensive reply but could you kindly inform me about detailed differences ?
Thanks Ciao Mario

Skip

Looks similar but different to my RM M445 Pictures below (this is a retro from Real McCoys, not an original, is it different to yours Silver Surfer?). Mine doesn't have the bottom buttons, do you know if the collar is the same style, it does look larger more like an ANJ4 collar.

FullSizeRender-5.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

FullSizeRender-4.jpg

leather cuff ending rolled back to show the knit stitched into the fleece

johnwayne

Not sure if it's still for sale but John Chapman had an M444 being offered and was/ has been there for some time! Yep, just checked and it's still there - $649!!

Last edited:

Skip

But you have a sheepskin. And I write about leather with lining shearling. Plus pay attention to the lining shearling color, what I saw was the same color as the link.

Eastwood, understaood that. Just trying to establish differences in more detail apart from the obvious. Its certainly an interesting jacket in which you describe, one in which I haven't seen at all.

MikeyB-17

The M-445's and AN-J-4's were sheepskin but with horsehide reinforcement on the sleeves and a horsehide panel around the bottom edge. Skip's is a different design, but the you can see it on Larson's jacket in the link.