• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M422a replacement knit question...

Brettafett

Hi gents,

Any experience with replacement waistband knits from Larry over at Flightjacketknits?
Particularly the single ply M422a type.

Mr Steve Sellers from Headwindmfg is making me an M422a and I am vacillating between ‘authenticity’ and ‘longevity’.
‘Authenticity’, being the std single ply M422a waist knit and the ‘longevity’ being the A-2/ later G-1 double layer waistband.

I have a set of the A-2 replacement knit, and its very good, but do I want this on my M422a?
Then again, would the single ply stretch out and loose shape?

Thoughts?

Grant

Hey Brett,
My vote is to go for authenticity. The knits on all my WWII USN jackets have held up remarkably well.

Brent

I concur, the rib-rack knits for authenticity as well as the asthetics. To me a G-1 and especially a M422a don't look right without rib-rack knits. Mine aren't WWII but '50s and '60s and are holding up quite well.

Regards,

B-Man2

If you have an original WWII M-422a, and you're going to restore the knits, please go with the period replacements. Its a historical piece of which there aren't many around, so why not keep it as original as possible?.. Just my 2 cents worth.

Skip

Brett, as the lads said above USN knits are the best for those jackets. They look better, sized right for the style of jacket, and do wear extremely well, you won't regret it.

Roughwear

Original Block M422a jackets had naval style knits and A-2 style ones would not be correct for this contract. They should be durable and last as long as A-2 ones.