• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M1942 Jump Jacket and Trousers / Reinforced

a2jacketpatches

Picked this up at the flea market yesterday for a steal, 30 bucks. Considering I got it so cheap and it's just a Chinese made copy, thought to use this reproduction as a canvas to reproduce (Yes I said it twice :lol:) an accurate spray camouflage using my airbrush as I've seen on some originals. Question is, does anyone here know if the cammo was specific to a particular unit? I've seen limited examples online but would love any other photos that might be out there and/or detailed history on the subject.

Disclaimer: This post is in no way shape or form, an attempt to promote the sale of a particular item or service. It is to be understood that the project I have in mind is for my own interest and the results to be used as decoration in my man cave only. Please keep all assumptions and negativity to yourself. :D

jack31916

(spray) painted camo on the M-42 Jumpsuits was common practise for the pathfinder units of the 82nd and 101st airborne. Google ww2 pathfinders and you will find pictures of them. I've seen originals which were brush-painted with an emerald green like colour. No fancy jobs, just do the trick of applying camo.

The parachute units during Operation Dragoon used spray-painted camouflage on their jumpsuits but they didn't have the canvas reinforcements.

Btw: your jacket looks like an ATF replica.

a2jacketpatches

Thanks, just what I was looking for and "Pathfinders" was the key word missing that limited my search. The tag inside says "Made in China" so I'm not sure who the distributor is. Got the trousers too. Both in a good size Large with 32 inch waist. Nice quality, nice and cheap, perfect to have a little fun with. Think I'll stick with the spray cammo, I've got textile paints in every color that'll fade perfectly in the wash as long as I don't heat set it.

Peter Graham

Here's an original camo jump suit in Dead Mans Corner museum in Normandy. Note how muted the camo is, although it's obviously faded with age.