• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Knopf A2 from the 118th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron

JDAM

Roughwear said:
The initial ID of Lubner came from you. My question is where did this information/rumour come from in the first place?

From the previous owner/dealer, who thought it might/coulda/shoulda been, though was vague and could provide no history or provenance at all. So I concluded any link was nonexistent or flimsy. If I thought it were Lubner's I would have sold it as such.

TankBuster

I agree. It's a beautiful jacket as is. I'm not sure what you sold it for, but if it were named and had provenance to Lubner (a 23rd FG ace and prominent figure within the 23rd FG), we would be talking over $10K+ very easy for such a set. I also agree that the early 118th Patch this jacket sports is a rare bird and worth a pretty penny on its own. It's really a super piece for what it is. A great jacket with a great patch!
I will still scour the photo album anyhow for any further photos of Lubner or jackets with patches!

JDAM

TankBuster said:
I will still scour the photo album anyhow for any further photos of Lubner or jackets with patches!

I will be physically sick if you find one albeit grudgingly pleased for Andrew :evil: . Anyway, I'll leave it to Andrew to say what he paid for it, if he likes. But let's say it went for less than $2k, which imo is a very fair price for a damned fine jacket and a rare patch. The last one of these patches I saw went for an 'enquire for price' value on one of the silly dealer sites... probably meaning 1k plus.

Roughwear

It would be the icing on the cake if it could be proved to be Lubner's A2, but I'm happy just to have a great jacket from the 118th TRS!

Contacting Lubner's family may be the way to go. If a family member identifies the jacket as belonging to Lubner the question of provenance might just be resolved!

JDAM

Just been browsing photos and here are some fine jackets from 118th pilots. Interesting, all with 23rd FG and/or other 23FG sq. insignia.

Alwyn Traylor

12940008%2520copy.jpg

IMG_0021%2520copy.jpg

Fred Poats
Lt.%2520Fred%2520Poats%2520on%2520ship%2520going%2520home%2520from%2520china%2520-%25201945%2520-%252016bit.jpg

Jack Smith (curious mini 23rd patch there)

118th%2520-%2520%252327%2520-%2520Lt.%2520Jack%2520Smith.jpg

Zuegner

12950017%2520copy.jpg

unclegrumpy

TankBuster said:
I also agree that the early 118th Patch this jacket sports is a rare bird and worth a pretty penny on its own.
Question...this patch looks like it was made in the CBI, but this design was around for a long time before the war, so when you say "early", you mean early WW II right?

TankBuster

unclegrumpy said:
TankBuster said:
I also agree that the early 118th Patch this jacket sports is a rare bird and worth a pretty penny on its own.
Question...this patch looks like it was made in the CBI, but this design was around for a long time before the war, so when you say "early", you mean early WW II right?

Sort of....these patches shown are CBI made and were used early on (1944) with the 118th while serving overseas until they came up with their black lightning and mustang insignia (late 44 early 45). The below photo gives a nice side by side of each insignia used by the 118th. Both being used overseas by the unit.

image.jpg1_zpsa897fmrj.jpg

Roughwear

I have located Lubner's daughter and have emailed her about the A2. He died in 2003 and if the jacket was his it may well have been sold at some stage after this date. He lived in the same house as his daughter so of his three children hopefully she should know if he owned this A2 jacket. Fingers crossed for a positive result!

CBI

another super jacket. You are going to have (if not already) one of the top private world-class collections of A-2's anywhere!

great background

Roughwear

Thanks guys. I have sent two emails to the daughter and will be writing via snail mail at the weekend if I don't get a response. It could be that my email has been filtered out and not read.