• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jeans to wear with your flight jackets ...

Carl

received_10155592520635983.jpeg

Same inside leg as me Carl! And I have lurvleee cuffs too, now ain’t that strange!
Oh its so strange !!! :D:D.

33-1729

Decide to break out of my rut and try something different. The Iron Horse look great if you can handle the heavy weight. Also picked up a book to read.

IMG_1149.JPG

33-1729

Got a chance to wear the Studio D'Artisan and they are the highest quality jeans I've ever owned. Better denim, stitching, details, dye, etc. than my LVC 1947. The LVC '47 has the best fit, so they're still #1, but these are awfully close. Bought another pair.

Got the bug and a Pure Blue Japan xx-18oz-005 with "slubby" denim, where the fibers are of varying dimensions for a very textured construction. All PBJ are off a single low-tension shuttle loom, so it took me a while to find these in a higher weight (though no where near as heavy weight as Iron Horse). Kind of feels like a denim Triscuit. Very odd at first, so we'll see how it goes.

The other is a Fullcount 1108. Essentially a '66 cut (the most popular in Japan?) with '40's detail. It is supposed to be similar in weight to the LVC 1947, but with the very soft Zimbabwe cotton it feels lighter. More like the originals as I recall. The details are amazing. I heard they use over a dozen different types of thread in this model to fine tune the wear pattern. I downsized these one as I heard they stretch quite a bit (others are all true to size).

IMG_1155.JPG

Last edited:

Greg Gale

I bought my first pair of selvedge jeans a couple of months ago, Levi's 511 selvedge edition. Are they supposed to be so stiff and restrictive? It gives me backpain because I can't move in them properly and have to compensate with other muscles. Will they get better eventually, or selvedge jeans are just not for me?

33-1729

I bought my first pair of selvedge jeans a couple of months ago, Levi's 511 selvedge edition. Are they supposed to be so stiff and restrictive? It gives me backpain because I can't move in them properly and have to compensate with other muscles. Will they get better eventually, or selvedge jeans are just not for me?

I can't speak to the fit of Levi's 511 specifically, but I have found that un-sanforized selvedge jean fit is all over the map. Some are way too small, some way too big, and others go one way then the next for any given size with wash/wear. Trying on a one-wash pair will let you know how far they shrink, but not how far they'll stretch. I have found all the different major sites measure them differently too, so that is rarely of help (Self Edge, Blue in Green, Okayama Denim, etc.). Purchasing them in person and with a knowledgeable sales staff is best.

For your 511's if the waist is too tight, you can wet the waist and wear them to stretch them back out. It happens fairly quickly on a new pair (20-30 minutes). The SDA above went from way too tight to perfectly fine. Patience is a good thing, but note a lot of used denim is up for sale as this is a common problem and not everyone has a store close by to try them on first.

Ken at Aero Leather

The shrinkage/fit on the Levi 1933 is bulletproof.
If you want to know the size to buy tell me the size you want them to end up after washing.

These are the only Jeans my wife has worn in decades so I'm well familiar with the sizing

Greg Gale

The fit is perfect, far from tight. It's just how rigid and stiff the denim is...I'll try to wet it (no pun intended). I just realized I used to have a pair of Lee 101s, but while the legs were too tight, the waist was at least one size too big. The 511 fits perfectly. It's just uncomfortable. I have the same size 511s in normal denim, and they are super comfy.

Ken at Aero Leather

Greg

The Lee's can't have been 40s/50s cut. They (Especially Lee Europe) modernised the cut several times in the last 15 years, always made the original but didn't promote them
The fit of the early ones is exactly the opposite, loose comfy leg, great fit at the waist
Dean Taylor.jpg

Ken at Aero Leather

We are talking 501 LVC? They are meant to be washed, hence the term "Shrink to fit"
You'll be amazed how they soften up with even a couple of washes

Ken at Aero Leather

Ooops, just googled 511, first I've heard of these, Levis never offered these to us.
Puting this a kindly as I can, I'd call these "Jeggings"
Little wonder they are uncomfortable

johnwayne

Jeggings, look like jeans but fit like leggings that girlies wear and now called skinny fit than many guys shouldn’t wear!!
Levi 1944’s I’ve found to be authentic fit with painted arcuate as produced in WW2 to save money but now pricey whereas Prison Blues are very reasonably priced .

33-1729

The fit is perfect, far from tight. It's just how rigid and stiff the denim is...I'll try to wet it (no pun intended). I just realized I used to have a pair of Lee 101s, but while the legs were too tight, the waist was at least one size too big. The 511 fits perfectly. It's just uncomfortable. I have the same size 511s in normal denim, and they are super comfy.

Typically denim is heavily starched, so multiple denim sheets can be stacked and the pattern cut more easily. Some have an aversion to washing jeans, but it will really help reduce their rigidity by washing out the starch (I cold wash mine all the time). If that's not it, I don't know. The 511 are relatively lightweight denim, so I would think they wouldn't be stiff after some washes.

Cocker

I wouldn't call the 511 jeggins neither, but they are on the slim side, way too much for my taste. I'm with Ken on the "vintage" fit being the most comfortable. High and fitting waist with comfy legs cannot, IMO, be beaten. It took me a bit of time getting there, coming from the regular market jeans, but there is absolutely no turning back for me.

stanier

Oh dear, and apologies and sorry again, but...

Sorry (again!), BUT you can buy a pair of jeans, wash all the starch out and war them ‘cos they’re comfy. They’ll always look like Marks & Spencer’s denim, but hey they comfy.

Then one day you’ll see someone who bought their jeans raw and wore them, in fact wore them till they really needed a wash and you’ll be thinking what cool jeans.

Selvedge denim is like a decent A-2 and you need to break a pair in. And over time they get ever more comfy.

If you’re worrying about perfect fit on a brand new pair of selvedge jeans then you’re really not getting selvedge jeans.

Wear ‘em and they’ll learn to fit you!