• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Irvin" jacket. Is it ?

John The Hat

I have sitting before me an "Irvin" flying jascket. And it looks a "wrong 'un" to me. :D

There are NO vent eyelets under the arms. The back of the collar is stitched "crosswise" not zigzag, and there is no band over the collar seam.. The neck strap is an eyelet & buckle type, not double "D" rings and is the wrong way round (Strap where buckle should be). All zips are Aero. The half belt loops look too wide & are sewn on rather than sewn in. There are two on the right hand side and one on the left. The belt its self looks like reversed cowhide. I would not have expected it to be shiny inside. The inside of the collare is similar, and the hanging loop MAY have been on the collar.Stitch length is very short. The back is a single pannel. Does anyone have any comments about this garment ? I will (if no-one objects) also post this information elsewhere.

Pictures are here :

http://www.bysonleather.co.uk/Odds & Sods.htm

havocpaul

Without seeing the jacket in full it is hard to tell what it is but all things considered it looks like a post-war 'civvie' jacket much in demand at the time (1950/60's) by bikers and the like. Any of the motorcycle magazines from the time have adverts for these type of jackets.

Roughwear

Post war "Irvin" style jacket, made from inferior quality materials compared with Wartime issued Irvins. Commonly mistaken for Wartime RAF jackets by Ebay sellers.

Roughwear

So do I Peter, but the description is enough to nail the jacket! One piece back, Aero zips etc=1950s utility civi "Irvin".