• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Windproof/Water-resistant Are the Cloth Flight Jackets?

Philalethes

I have been considering acquiring a B-10 or B-15 repro - possibly for skiing. Are these coats are wind- and water-resistant as their predecessors?

On a related note, which jacket exactly was the B-10 (and later the B-15) designed to replace?

dav3469

Re: How Windproof/Water-resistant Are the Cloth Flight Jacke

I have the ELC B-10, and it does an ok job say down to say 35ish F., dry weather for me.

I dont think you would find it appropriate for skiing or any long term exposure where getting water logged could become an issue. I dont think any true repro or original cloth Flight Jacket will do as good a job as other gear for specific outdoor pursuits.

I believe the B-10 was a replacement for the A-2, and B-15 an improvement on and replacement for the B-10.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.

Philalethes said:
On a related note, which jacket exactly was the B-10 (and later the B-15) designed to replace?

The B-10 was designed as part of a layered system that would replace the shearling suits, so as an Intermediate jacket, I guess its predecessor was the B-6.

dav3469

Deeb,

So is it the L-2 that would have been the next step after the A-2 as far as light wear goes?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.

Yes, after the war the L-2 was the replacement for the A-2.

Philalethes

Thanks for all the responses. I probably won't pick one up - for the purpose of skiing, at least.

dav3469 said:
I have the ELC B-10, and it does an ok job say down to say 35ish F., dry weather for me.

I am surprised that the jacket isn't warmer, given that it has an alpaca and wool lining. That lining, along with the fact that it is reminiscent of a G-1, is what attracted me to it.

dav3469

Philalethes said:
Thanks for all the responses. I probably won't pick one up - for the purpose of skiing, at least.

dav3469 said:

I am surprised that the jacket isn't warmer, given that it has an alpaca and wool lining. That lining, along with the fact that it is reminiscent of a G-1, is what attracted me to it.

I may have been a bit conservative. But I have only had it in "real cold weather" once, when I took it with me to visit my folks in the midwest. Waiting 10 minutes for the rental car shuttle is not like on the mountain for the day on ski's. :D I think it was about 30-32 degrees, and was ok, but like I said that was only a 10-15 minute test. The rest of the time there was your standard in and out of the car, running around town type stuff. As far as water repellent qualities, I will stand with what I said above.......

Philalethes

dav3469 said:
I may have been a bit conservative. But I have only had it in "real cold weather" once, when I took it with me to visit my folks in the midwest. Waiting 10 minutes for the rental car shuttle is not like on the mountain for the day on ski's. :D I think it was about 30-32 degrees, and was ok, but like I said that was only a 10-15 minute test. The rest of the time there was your standard in and out of the car, running around town type stuff. As far as water repellent qualities, I will stand with what I said above.......

Thanks for the clarification.

I have been wondering something else: what are the sleeves lined with?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.

Philalethes said:
I have been wondering something else: what are the sleeves lined with?

The sleeves are also alpaca lined ... it's really not a jacket for the ski field.