• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headwind Mfg Co - Our New USN 37J1 Jacket

Skyhawk

For the one or tops two potential customers that don't prefer as much grain, what are their options in the near future?
We have our original Russet Capeskin that has less grain. Also another new option would be the Russet Horsehide that we recently got in stock. I am working on additional hides as well.

Skyhawk

Would love to see the russet hides!!

Sure thing! Here's a photo. The russet Capeskin is the pocket flap. It is sitting on the Russet Horse Hide:
P1040275.JPG

2BM2K

The russet horsehide looks interesting. What does the underside look like and what is the thickness?

zoomer

If the horse grains up a bit after wearing, it would be great for the Goldy A-2...and if you need a wear-test platform I hereby volunteer ;)

Skyhawk

I was just going over some photos and discovered a good shot of an original Capeskin 37J1 that has the same grainy texture as our new Capeskin hide. I have seen an A-1 with this super grain Cape as well. It appears they used smooth hides and very grainy Capeskin hides as well back in the 1920's. This grain is very even throughout the arms, and the front:
Cape-Texture.jpg

g462222.jpg

bseal

If you mean the hides don't match, you need a new monitor. I don't get the reference.

1. Your offerings/jackets are fine.
2. Whether they are constructed, assembled, or designed wholly or in part in India, Pakistan, Scotland, USA or New Jersey is fine. You bring up sweatshops though, was there an accusatory post from a member that you were responding to?
3. Whether or not you feel you can afford or need to put in a Made in “this proud country” label and then be in full patriotic compliance with governing US federal law is your prerogative. ‘Murica!
4. Some people love grain, some not so much, it’s all good either way.
5. The painted A-2 you posted matches the pattern on your new offering. Cool.
6. The other pictures of A-1/37J1 variants do not match your current offering.
7. You may keep telling us “They do, they do.” The bigger question though is why?
8. “Any publicity is ultimately good publicity,” so have at it.

Skyhawk

If you zoom in to the original photo, it is clearly a match. The blow ups may not be showing it due to resolution, but it is there. You can clearly see the same graining. On his left arm, down the buttonhole panel and on the other front right side of the jacket. Once you spot that, it is easy to see on the original sized photo when you zoom out.
Cape-Texture-2.jpg
Cape-Texture-3.jpg
Shoot-back-4.jpg

Skyhawk

1. Your offerings/jackets are fine.
2. Whether they are constructed, assembled, or designed wholly or in part in India, Pakistan, Scotland, USA or New Jersey is fine. You bring up sweatshops though, was there an accusatory post from a member that you were responding to?
3. Whether or not you feel you can afford or need to put in a Made in “this proud country” label and then be in full patriotic compliance with governing US federal law is your prerogative. ‘Murica!
4. Some people love grain, some not so much, it’s all good either way.
5. The painted A-2 you posted matches the pattern on your new offering. Cool.
6. The other pictures of A-1/37J1 variants do not match your current offering.
7. You may keep telling us “They do, they do.” The bigger question though is why?
8. “Any publicity is ultimately good publicity,” so have at it.

I have to say I don't agree. Based on photos, not on opinions.

Nothing like photographic evidence to prove a point.

I am making reproduction jackets and the originals did not have care labels. Or any other labels than the Spec labels.

bseal

“I have to say I don't agree. Based on photos, not on opinions.”

OK you are right, I retract points # 1, 2, and 3 at this time (without prejudice and with leave to amend.)

Photographic evidence, indeed.

Last edited: