• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headwind MFG Co History Page

Skyhawk

Hi guys, I have had plans for some history content on the website for a long time now. I just got started with a history of the American flight jacket focusing on pre WWII jackets. I have other topics as well I will add in the future. Any input is welcomed. I want to provide some useful content on the site and I am always interested in obscure or unknown facts about early aviation.

headwindmfg.com/history.html

Best Regards,
Jay

johnwayne

Well done Jay, I guess in relation to the A2 much of it has been covered in Gary Eastman book but others like Hell Bent for Leather or Cowboys of the Sky only offer a scant history so I’m sure this will be welcomed by many here.

zoomer

uhoh...don't specialize on pre WW2 jackets...you'll go broke...especially if you make 'em in sizes over 42 :D

Skyhawk

uhoh...don't specialize on pre WW2 jackets...you'll go broke...especially if you make 'em in sizes over 42 :D
Hmm not sure how to take this one. I realize you may joking here but either way I don't take offense at all. The customers seem excited.
The Golden Age of Flight (1920-1940) is very intriguing to me. Such amazing courage and feats occurring during that time. In my view it is equally as interesting as the WWII era.

Headwind is a labor of love for me. I am passionate about this stuff. I am not looking for the most profitable business with this venture. Otherwise it would be

Headwind Fidget spinners :)

Thanks for the input! For real. (Hard to tell in writing)

Regards,
Jay

zoomer

To be clear Jay, I 1000% agree with you. It's time someone appreciated this stuff for reasons other than the particular (immense) heroism of combat veterans. But up to now it's been "piss off, why would anyone care unless you're Japanese and have OCD?" So pardon me for being skeptical that anything might come of it...

B-Man2

It’s a nice thing to watch a company take flight ( no pun intended ) and develop into a player in their respective field. In this case it’s nice to know that Jay was just a normal guy, like the rest of us, who took his passion for a hobby to the ultimate level by turning it into a business.

SuinBruin

Good stuff. One typo: "3/4 to full length" rather than "1/4 to full length." A 1/4 length flight jacket would be too short to be practical I think. ;)

Skyhawk

Thanks Matt!
That is what I meant, a Quarter (1/4) length coat. I see how that could be misinterpreted though. In coat terminology a Quarter length would hit you somewhere between the thigh and knee. A full length would hit somewhere between the shin and ankle.

Thanks I will change it to "Quarter Length".

Regards,
Jay

SuinBruin

I've always heard those referred to as 3/4 length coats as they're (roughly) 3/4 the length of a full-length coat. But you're the professional jacket maker, not me.

robrinay

I've always heard those referred to as 3/4 length coats as they're (roughly) 3/4 the length of a full-length coat. But you're the professional jacket maker, not me.
That’s the U.K. English common usage definition too, a 3/4 coat hem lands above the knee.

Falcon_52

You've got a good start there, Jay. One mistake that I found: "Meanwhile, the USN put out it's first Zip up model the B-2 which was a heavy sheep shearling jacket." The B-1 and subsequent B-2 jackets were developed by the US Army Air Corp. not the USN.

Noel

Skyhawk

Thanks Noel! I will be changing that. I also changed Quarter to Three Quarter. Quarter is just a shortened slang word in the USA I guess, and it is confusing, so we will go with the more universal "Three Quarter".

I appreciate the input guys! I am confident that we have the most knowledgeable minds on the subject of the history of flight jackets right here on our forum.

Regards,
Jay

zoomer

The thing to watch out for is the pressure to do More Of The Same. It gets most everybody who offers something different, or a better deal. Eventually, they find they have to maximize return, so they end up doing the same products as everyone else, at the same price point.

Last edited: