• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headwind HL Block M422a Pics & review

B-Man2

Jay
Whenever you have time would you be so kind as to posting the measurements of a standard size 46 vs a size 48 in this model jacket?
Thank you

Skyhawk

Sure thing. I will have to have Steve dig out those sizes out of the pattern files. I will post them when I get them.

Brent

What an obsolute beauty, a real stunner. Hope this all works out for everyone.

Regards,

Brettafett

Yeah,

I gave Steve what I thought would be ideal measurements, and he cross-checked his side, and basically recommended a size 40 with some small adjustments.
I based my measurements on my recent size 40 ELC m422a and my original size 40 FO M422a.
So, based on how those jackets fit, and the numbers I’d carefully taken down… I thought I’d hit the perfect fit..
Steve nailed those numbers, but strangely the jacket fits almost like it was a size or a half size up for me.

Steve points out what I assumed, that its the patterns of some of these jackets. The front of the jacket sits low, and the back higher.
This bares out when I look at pics of guys wearing their jackets from the ‘40s.
Matt also made some good points about how shoulder width affects length, and how each pattern, although similar, is slightly different.
This Block cut is certainly different from my ELC M422. It feels like it drapes the same and has the same proportions as the original FO, but theres more of it ;)
I have found the leather makes a difference also. All these nuances... Its all quite deceptive.

If only one could try on a ‘fit’ jacket, but that becomes so expensive and impractical.
I tried it on again last night, and now am sure I could almost size down from those original measurements. The ones Jay posted above would almost be better, with some added length.
This jacket could easily pass with someone with a chest of 41/42”, 6ft to 6’2 or even 6’3

Whomever makes these jackets has a tough job, gauging correct size, for a person they’ve never met nor may ever meet in person. I get that.
Just makes me respect what these guys are doing more and more.

If I could do it all over, those measurements would be very different.
Hindsight is a …

Grant

Hey Brett,
For what it's worth, some of my original sz 42 M-422a's fit longer in the torso than others (G&F 1st contract and H&L Block being the longest). At first it bugged the shit out of me, but after looking at wartime photos of USN and Marine air crews I've learned to live with it. For me the best fitting are the later G&F's.

The strangest fitting WWII USN leather jacket is the Willis and Geiger M422. It's super long in length with insanely short sleeves.

Brettafett

I bet Grant... The trick is to find a jacket that fits well and is comfortable. Or put up with what you have.
In this case, it'll just live in the UPS box, so best to find it a home.
In some cases stock sizes are good, take it or leave it, but then some of us would never own jacket for very long ;)
Custom sizing is great, but trial and error cost...

I've seen some pics of what you mean... A lot of jacket with short arms.

B-Man2

Bretta
I know you must be a little discouraged by this recent development however, you should consider posting some fit pictures. The reason being that sometimes I think a jacket looks bad but it’s just my perception of it. Once everyone sees it and comments on it I realize it’s not half as bad as I first thought and I feel a little better and sometimes I forget about it. Give it a try.

Brettafett

Hahah I'm nervous of that, because it feels right off. There will be some gents that will say it looks authentic perhaps ... But this aint a jacket I can comfortably wear.
I will post fit pics at some point, just have not had time to take any decent ones. Thanks guys....

Ken at Aero Leather

Zoomer,
Check out the below...
www.ebay.co.uk/str/Flight-Jacket-Restoration-Supplies?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
Ebay - Flight Jacket Restoration Supplies
Seller information lb4041j

WOW, G-1 Leather Zipper tie-pull for £5.20 ??? Makes David Himel's jackets sound like something from The Poundshop.
One of our leather cuttings sent free would make at least half a dozen and we must throw enought pieces of scrap away every day to make a couple of hundred of these. I'm in the wrong business, obviously

Persimmon

WOW, G-1 Leather Zipper tie-pull for £5.20 ??? Makes David Himel's jackets sound like something from The Poundshop.
One of our leather cuttings sent free would make at least half a dozen and we must throw enought pieces of scrap away every day to make a couple of hundred of these. I'm in the wrong business, obviously

Don’t let Gary hear about this !!!

There will be a price increase on theirs even before they start cutting them up.

Ken at Aero Leather

Just worked it out at around 300 pieces from a sq foot of leather, 20 mins cutting time maybe with a fag break, thats £1500 a square foot, that more than one of those daft handbags made for for even dafter millenians

Brettafett

Some updated static pics.
Headwind HLBlock M422a 8.JPG Headwind HLBlock M422a 9.JPG Headwind HLBlock M422a 10.JPG Headwind HLBlock M422a 11.jpg Headwind HLBlock M422a 12.jpg

Dr H

The strangest fitting WWII USN leather jacket is the Willis and Geiger M422. It's super long in length with insanely short sleeves.

If I were in the market for an M-422 that combo would be ideal for me!