• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goatskin vs horsehide

Steve H

OK, having never owned a goatskin A2 before- what is the difference in hide qualities? Is goatskin softer or is it just the grain? Reason I ask is because I have been offered a goatskin Perry and wanted to know if I should go for it or wait for a horsehide. The manufacturer is Goodwear BTW and the price is right. :D

thanks

Steve

a2jacketpatches

All depends on the hide, I just got a shipment of goatskin and horsehide from the Top Jacket Guy and some HH is stiff compared to the goat and visa versa. Each grain is unique regardless, like two different animals. :)

Who

Generally goat is softer and very abrasion resistant. It is one of the strongest leathers available. John's goat is lovely and about 2.5oz thick. And at that thickness it's a bunch lighter that 3oz HH. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Skip

a2jacketpatches said:
All depends on the hide, I just got a shipment of goatskin and horsehide from the Top Jacket Guy and some HH is stiff compared to the goat and visa versa. Each grain is unique regardless, like two different animals. :)

Besides an A-2 in steer (which was really heavy but ended up with lots of patina and character) I only have Navy jackets, which of course are all goat, and they all feel different. Goat can sometimes take ages if at all to 'look old' but I've found it to be extremely pliable, lightweight, and really durable. It does have a different grain to horse.

Mucking around in my goatskin jacket, on concrete, with some mates and a football, I fell over and went for wee slide on my back. Jacket had hardly a scratch whereas I had plenty.

Dr H

Steve H said:
OK, having never owned a goatskin A2 before- what is the difference in hide qualities? Is goatskin softer or is it just the grain? Reason I ask is because I have been offered a goatskin Perry and wanted to know if I should go for it or wait for a horsehide. The manufacturer is Goodwear BTW and the price is right. :D

thanks

Steve

Steve, having owned the GW/original Perry contracts in both HH and GS, IMHO the goat that John is now using is very, very close to the original 23377. With later examples, he has had the opportunity to deconstruct tatty jackets to nail the subtleties of the collar asymmetry, etc.
Cheers
Ian

unclegrumpy

I would say the two bigger questions are how well it will fit you, and if you like the contract. In the end, you will probably end up wanting both a goat and a horsehide, so if you like this jacket, the fit, and the price, then go for it.

One other thing, if this jacket is coming from GW at a favorable price or is a recently made second hand one, and again you like it, then do it. It can be hard to achieve an exact perfect fit, and the best way to do it is to test something out for awhile. Good luck!

A

Anonymous

they are both great
A-2s look nice on both
but I couldn't imagine navy jackets in hh, athough I heard some existed.

269sqnhudson

I find goatskin (even the Cooper I own) to be an exceptional material. It's really quite a bit stretchier than horsehide and remains supple into old age. Also, the pebbled surface when tanned and finished seems very tough AND you get really nice grain variation. My Cooper A2 has some lovely rough grain areas near the edges of large panels and an overall toughness I find very appealing. My 1998 Eastman in goat is the same but a little more evenly grained. It's also a bit less supple which may be the veg tannning. Tough as nails though.

Goatskin's definitely a leather to beat around.

T

Marv

I personally prefer horse for A2s (having owned a goat A2 previously) and goat for G1s but that's just me. :)

Steve H

I think if the repro was a reproduction of an original contract that was in goat I'd be happy with it and likewise for horse. Similarly if something was ORIGINALLY made with rat hide I'd be happy with that. Its more about the historically correct material than the feel/ look for me. :geek:

ausreenactor

B-Man2 said:
Which one , goat or horse , do you fellows find is more naturally water resistant ?

Apparently you can lead a horse to water? But....just kidding..

I have only had two Goat jackets. ELC RW-1401P (Yup) and a Lost Worlds G-1. VERY robust.
I did not subject to any wear; however, they were impressive hides.

Couchy

Marv

From what I seem to recall reading somewhere, goat is more resistant to water and abrasion plus being more supple than horse hence the reason why the US Navy chose only goat for their M422/G1 jackets.

Skip

I threw a G-1 in the washing machine (wouldn't do this with an m422 or early G), gentle cycle if there is such a thing, and after drying flat in the Australian sun, it pretty much looked the same as before it went in. As been said before, goat's pretty tuff, and it may also depend on where the hide is sourced, what thickness it is, how its tanned, as to how it' feels' and wears.

jollygreenslugg

G'day folks,

Personal opinion only, but I haven't found a goat jacket that I've enjoyed wearing. Granted, my only A-2 goat experience is with a dodgey Cooper orange label, but it just didn't feel 'right'. Far happier with my first authentic repro, a BK house jacket in horse.

Go Aussies!

Cheers,
Matt

FlyingYankee

Goat is a better warm weather Jacket. Here is my GW Dubow
232323232%7Ffp54382%3Enu%3D35%3B2%3E897%3E534%3E26%3A3897625259ot1lsi

Skip

Nice jacket Flying Yankee, superb fit.

Matt, My first semi serious jacket was a US Wings A2 in Goat, and it was luxuriously supple and besides the blousiness really comfortable, but I prefer navy jackets. I can only imagine that GW goat is to die for, so don't give up. Having said that I've never had the experience of HH