• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For Andrew - Black fleece Irvin

Smithy

I initially thought of Andrew when I chanced across this, after our conversations about black fleece Irvins years ago over at TFL, but thought others might like to see this as well. I was mucking around on the net and came across this image of WWI ace and later in WWII Montgomery's arch enemy, Sir Arthur Coningham.

I just thought that this was a fantastic photo and the only one (to my knowledge) of a very senior RAF rank (in this case an Air Marshal) in one of the rarer black fleece Irvins.

Air_Marshal_Sir_Arthur_Coningham,_Italy,_January_1944_TR1497.jpg

Grant

I'd be curious to know if the photo is an original color image (Kodachrome) or a later colorized photo.

Grant

Agree with Smithy, it's a beauty!
It's back below freezing this morning here in NYC, so broke out the Irvin!

Bombing IP

There is also an Irvin that Eastman produces on occasion when the sheepskins are available .Its a longer wool type strand less compact from a special breed of sheep ,its spectacular .I cannot remember the name but I seem to remember something about the Coldstream Guards also use it . Now this is one Irvin I would want .

BIP

Bombing IP

Don't know about that !. Aviation Leather craft are the official makers of the Irvin and all their jackets have pockets .

BIP

Last edited:

Bombing IP

I love the Irvin Jackets never had a reason to own one .It does not get cold enough to need one here in NY , plus it seems very restricted mobility wise driving cars and being in crowded areas . Iconic jacket nether the less but to spend all that money just to have it hanging 51 weeks in the year its not for me .

BIP

MikeyB-17

Aviation Leathercraft might own the Irvin name but their jackets are modern versions catering for open top sportscar drivers and the like. Accurate reproductions they are not. Original Irvins didn't have pockets-the trousers did, but not the jackets.
I love black fleece Irvins-Aero did an all-black version once. You never see those for sale-at least I never have.

MikeyB-17

I wish! You won't get much change out of fifty grand for one these days. Actually I think this is a wartime shot, I believe it's a late 30's HRD series A Rapide, and I think those chaps may be pilots-note the flying goggles and what look like gas mask cases. I don't know the origin of the picture, but Irvins, cigars and a Vincent, what could be cooler?

Roughwear

Don't know about that !. Aviation Leather craft are the official makers of the Irvin and all their jackets have pockets .

BIP
They bought the rights to use the Irvin label. Their jackets can be bought without pockets as per originals and I know of several people who have ordered them that way. Sadly they are not accurate reproductions.