• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Star 'Luftwaffe' Jacket

Emchisti

Morning all,

I'm looking at the Five Star Luftwaffe jacket and wondered if anyone had any experience with it? What are the proportions like? Sizing? Has anyone got recommendations for which leather would suit it best? What are the fittings like?

Five Start Luftwaffe Jacket

Last edited:

Kermit3D

Hi Emchisti,
I don't have any experience with the Fivestar "luftwaffe" jacket, but I do have a little experience with cyclist Jackets (that's what we call this type of jacket).

I'd say the fit is starting to approach ( quite distantly though) that of a real cyclist jacket.
The jacket is short, which is a good thing. However, it seems to me that the size chart is very strange. I usually wear a size 40-42, and according to the chart, the Fivestar "luftwaffe" jacket that would fit me is a size 36...
Let's just say it's far from a top-of-the-range cyclist jacket, but it's not a disaster either. A lot of the details are wrong, but the overall fit is just about right.
By the way, cyclist jackets have never been black. Always more or less brown leather.

Let me make a comparison with my original cyclist jacket :

DSC_1695copy_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:

dinomartino1

I don't have a five star one so I can't tell you but, do you just like the look or do you want to get as close as you can to a French cyclists jacket on a budget.
This would would be more authentic if that's what you want .
Brown
Not the ball chain type zips, these YKK? zips are closer looking to the french eclair zips.
These jackets were very high waisted.
I have seen some with buckle adjusters on the waist but the vast majority I have seen have O-rings, they could do them for you.
Five star will make to your measurements.

Read these threads before you do anything

Last edited:

dinomartino1

Just in case all the names are confusing these were not "luftwaffe jackets", just everyday french leather jackets from the 1930s-50's.
German pilots in occupied france liked the style and started wearing them.
They are known as french cyclist or Hartmann after the german ace erich hartmann who wore one.
The internet is full of fakes supposedly worn by luftwaffe pilots due to the high value that will put on them.

Last edited:

Emchisti

Hi both, yes, I'm a vintage clothing collector (for want of a better phrase) so already have knowledge around the history of the jackets, but I genuinely do appreciate the detailed responses. The Luftwaffe one looked better to me than the other as it looked to be more in proportion. I'm not exactly a tall man and wear high-waisted trousers so need a jacket that's short enough in the body to compliment the trousers I wear, daily. I'm more into the French 1930s fashion bit than the luftwaffe bit so I just want a jacket that would satisfy that requirement. I don't really care for the fakes as that's not what I want it for, and seems, as you rightly state,incidental to the original design ethos of these jackets.

I do appreciate the comments about the zips and assume that Five Star can sort these for me. Leather wise, I was looking at Steerhide to better match the originals. I have a few goatskin jackets but I'm not a major fan of the look or feel of goatskin. And of course, it'll be brown, not black!

Kermit3D

Just in case all the names are confusing these were not "luftwaffe jackets", just everyday french leather jackets from the 1930s-50's.
German pilots in occupied france liked the style and started wearing them.
They are known as french cyclist or Hartmann after the german ace erich hartmann who wore one.
The internet is full of fakes supposedly worn by luftwaffe pilots due to the high value that will put on them.

I partly agree. ;)
I think (but this is just my opinion) that this jacket, the new version, is much better than the old one.
The new jacket is much shorter, and the overall cut is more in keeping with what a cyclist jacket should be. The old jacket seems bigger and longer. A bit like what ELC offers with the "Hartmann" jacket.
You're right that the zipper pulls on the old version look better.

The side buckles (at the waist) are still D-shaped. But sometimes the straps are reversed (tightened forwards or backwards).

dinomartino1

I partly agree. ;)
I think (but this is just my opinion) that this jacket, the new version, is much better than the old one.
The new jacket is much shorter, and the overall cut is more in keeping with what a cyclist jacket should be. The old jacket seems bigger and longer. A bit like what ELC offers with the "Hartmann" jacket.
You're right that the zipper pulls on the old version look better.

The side buckles (at the waist) are still D-shaped. But sometimes the straps are reversed (tightened forwards or backwards).
Just showed that one to show the better zip, I know nothing about their jackets or that they even had an old and new.

Enigma1938

Well when it comes to german ww2 jacket repros 5* has a lot of catching up to do, their jackets are 70% there but could be even better with the same love shawn put into american jackets for example. On the other hand for some reason the german jackets are not as popular as their counterparts...

leper-colony

Well when it comes to german ww2 jacket repros 5* has lot of catching up to do, their jackets are 70% there but could be even better with the same love shawn put into american jackets for example. On the other hand for some reason the german jackets are not as popular as their counterparts...
Things seem to go better if he has a loaner.

Last edited: