• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First New FJ in Years

Bombing IP

It was a one day sale ,its now over .One of the members has one and states the collar is real mouton ,the only deviation is the fleece liner original was alpaca . That the reason you should visit the VLJ more often other members alert when companies have a sale .

BIP

Jason

Long time no see Geoff. I think you'll be chuffed with the ATF B10. One of the 'trainee put the wrong zipper in' specials from ATF made it's way here a while ago, and I wasn't disappointed. Very comfortable, very warm, looks the part. The synthetic fur lining is very soft which adds to the appeal in my view.

Smithy

I was reading the description. However, the images in their website do not appear to be natural or real mouton. I just want to make sure is the real thing. Also the price states $189 Dollars.... Is the sale over? or was it a mistake?

You might have missed my posting above but, as I said the collar on my ATF B-10 received in January of this year is real sheepskin mouton. Be aware though that it is the "nobbly" (for want of a better word) variety like on a Stagg B-10 (which is the jacket that I believe ATF's B-10 is based on) and not the smooth fur-like mouton that you see on some jackets, eg some G-1s.

HTH,

Tim

Atticus

I was reading the description. However, the images in their website do not appear to be natural or real mouton. I just want to make sure is the real thing. Also the price states $189 Dollars.... Is the sale over? or was it a mistake?

One can request to be placed on ATF's email notification list. That's what I did. Once you're on that list, you'll receive notice on the morning of a sale. They call it their "Deal of the Day". Of course, what's on sale isn't always a jacket. It might be a set of German tent steaks...or a carbine sling...or a shelter half...or whatever. But other times, it's a cool M-43 or a B-1o. So it pays to glance at your email early every morning.

AF

Atticus

Long time no see Geoff. I think you'll be chuffed with the ATF B10. One of the 'trainee put the wrong zipper in' specials from ATF made it's way here a while ago, and I wasn't disappointed. Very comfortable, very warm, looks the part. The synthetic fur lining is very soft which adds to the appeal in my view.

Thanks, Jason. I think I remember when you bought that jacket. If I'm right, its been quite a few years ago...maybe 2006 or there about? Good to hear from you!

AF

ButteMT61

I missed that sale by about 6 mins. Saw the post here and clicked on over and it was back to $189...
Glad you got one though - I'm curious on how the sizing compares to their labels.

Atticus

I missed that sale by about 6 mins. Saw the post here and clicked on over and it was back to $189...
Glad you got one though - I'm curious on how the sizing compares to their labels.

I'm a little concerned about the sizing, also. I bought an M-41 from them two years ago. There was no size 50R...my only choice size 48R or 52R. I wear a size 48 dress coat, but I chose the size 52R just to be safe. It was a good decision. The size 52R fit me perfectly. So, a year later, I saw they had M-43s on sale for $49.00. Remembering that the 52R M-41 fit perfectly, I ordered a size 52R M-43. When it arrived, it was huge. I understand that M-43s were cut large to fit over several layers of clothing...including a liner...but this jacket was really big. It all worked out though. I had little invested in it, so I washed it in hot water and then dried it in the dryer on high heat. Twice. I shrunk that jacket at least two sizes and now it fits perfectly...and the process gave it some character to boot!

So I ordered a size "49-52R" B-10. I'm hoping that I guessed right...and if I erred, I hope I erred on the large side. But only time will tell.

AF

CBI

I sometimes wash my ATF stuff and sometimes dry/partial dry it to get rid of that "new" look. Generally speaking Rollin cuts them oversized like originals however the shoulder sizes are pretty true to fit. He will tell you in the description if the cuts are more "modern" sizing. Downsizing can be tricky as items end up looking too small. Sometimes, going with the true WW2 fit that "fits" just looks way oversized by today's standards. My ATF paratrooper pants fit very similar to the originals I have seen but practically speaking they were waaaaay too baggy to wear in public as cargo pants. After having them altered, taking the seat way in, they wear much better. ATF most always advises to buy your normal size. My most recent ATF purchase was: SS M43 Cap It is really outstanding. It's off at the tailors. I am having her put swatches of the same grey wool material (from ATF swatch bag) over the insignias. No way I can wear those in public. The hat goes with my SM Wholesale German parka. I have to admit, I am really getting into the German gear but sadly know I can't really wear any of it. I will probably buy a wool German tunic (insignia free of course) and call it a Tag for German stuff: German M36 Tunic (ATF) From a hobby standpoint, ATF is so much fun as there is lots of great stuff within an affordable price range and once any of these items get worn in, they really look the part despite some shortcuts that keep the costs down. My number one fave ATF item is: Arctic M41 Jacket

BTW - In regards ATF's Tanker jacket, Rollin has an original txt does have the front zipper than goes all the way to the very top of the collar knit. Could have been a field modification but I suppose there is at least one example of almost any piece of WW2 clothing outside of what we think/know was standard issue.

Last edited:

Atticus

Well...my flight jacket-less run continues. The B-10 arrived today and, sadly, it was much too large. I immediately got on the horn and called ATF. They would have been happy to exchange it for a smaller size, but they've totally sold out of all sizes. And they don't have any plans to sell that jacket in the future. So I'm sending it back for a store credit. Maybe I'll spring for a tanker if they ever go on sale.

But it looks like it might be written in the stars...no B-10 for Geoff.

AF

Bombing IP

AF[/QUOTE]
Well...my flight jacket-less run continues. The B-10 arrived today and, sadly, it was much too large. I immediately got on the horn and called ATF. They would have been happy to exchange it for a smaller size, but they've totally sold out of all sizes. And they don't have any plans to sell that jacket in the future. So I'm sending it back for a store credit. Maybe I'll spring for a tanker if they ever go on sale.

But it looks like it might be written in the stars...no B-10 for Geoff.

Why don't you offer it up to someone who missed out on the sale

BIP

Atticus

ATF's sizing chart says that an XXL covers from size 49 to 52. That's probably accurate, but this particular jacket is easily a size 52. It is also proportionally long in both the torso and the arms.

AF

Atticus

I placed the ATF B-10 (size xxl) in the mail today. It should be delivered to ATF on Saturday, April 1. If someone hasen't already spoken for it, it will be available for purchase when it arrives.

AF

Atticus

Good to see you posting AF. Sorry about the jacket, tho.

Thanks! I've been posting a bit on Facebook, but not so much on the forums, anymore. I love politics at least as much as jackets, and that's a place where I can voice my thoughts...small though they may be. And I got fat(er) for a while after I retired. Just didn't look good wearing vintage jackets, anymore. I've lost most of that weight now, so my interest has been resparked a bit. It's good to see that many of the old VLJ members are still around.

AF