• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Everything Vintage Irvins

Andrew

It's better if you put a hard return or two between each so that they fall one beneath the other rather than across the page.... ;)

[quote="Baron Kurtz"]You fogot some closed square brackets, but almost there.

[quote="fleet16b"]Here is my first attempt at posting some pics of my 1940 Jacket.
I welcome any info or comments please.
Hope they turn out

[img]http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o125/fleet16/P1000368.jpg

P1000370.jpg

P1000371.jpg

P1000372.jpg
[/quote][/quote]

fleet16b

Andrew

base of collar - bottom of back ( centre sean=m top to bottom) = 25"

shoulder to shoulder = 20"

cuff to top of triangular armpit gusset = 25'

Any other dims you would like ?

Roughwear

Thanks for the pics, Fleet. I notice it was made as an electrically wired Irvin. You can still see the stitch holes where the wiring loom was attached to the jacket and the studs for the heated gloves. A very nice jacket indeed and a fine example of a Links contract too.

Roughwear

fleet16b said:
Andrew

The armpit to armpit measurement would be useful. I am not sure this jacket is any larger than my size 5s and certainly smaller than the pre-war size 6 in my collection.

Andrew

fleet16b said:
Andrew

fleet, the dims I find work best for most types of jackets are;
pit to pit across the front
same across the back
shoulder seam to end of cuff down the centreline of the outside of the sleeve
shoulder seam to shoulder seam
zipper length from bottom of bucket to top of last stopper, or windflap length
back length from base of collar to bottom of hem.

another useful one for Irvins is the length from underarm gussett to bottom of hem. I've had a few the same size where this actually varied.

fleet16b

Thanks Andrew you have a very good eye.
I suppose at some time, the wiring was removed.
It must have happened long ago as the leather and holes pretty much match the rest of the jacket patina
I am trying to get the name and history of the original owner but his son is away at present.
He was an RCAF Lanc pilot and apparently used this one jacket his entire time on ops.

I intend to keep this one and maybe wear i once in awhile. At least once when flying my Fleet finch Bi-plane this winter. For the rest of the time I wear a WPG Irvin so as not to ruin the original.

fleet16b

Leadsky said:
fleet16b said:
Andrew

fleet, the dims I find work best for most types of jackets are;
pit to pit across the front
same across the back
shoulder seam to end of cuff down the centreline of the outside of the sleeve
shoulder seam to shoulder seam
zipper length from bottom of bucket to top of last stopper, or windflap length
back length from base of collar to bottom of hem.

another useful one for Irvins is the length from underarm gussett to bottom of hem. I've had a few the same size where this actually varied.
Okay here what I measure:

armpit to armpit front = 24 1/4"
armpit to armpit rear = 24 1/4"

point of shoulder at seam to end of cuff = 25 "

main zipper length = 22"

fleet16b

Roughwear said:
fleet16b said:
Andrew

The armpit to armpit measurement would be useful. I am not sure this jacket is any larger than my size 5s and certainly smaller than the pre-war size 6 in my collection.

Andrew

One thing that I noticed but is not apparent in the pics is the label.
The red size 6 is a separate small piece that is glued to the rest of the label.
Is this common?

Roughwear

Now your pit measurements are correct for a size 6. There was variation in size between makers, especially in the length of the sleeves, and some were as long as 28 inches.

Baron Kurtz

Presumably, as with all the other military gear, these things would have been made with varying sleeve lengths etc. on purpose, to fit the various potential measurements of airman of the same height? So, size 6s from the same manufacturer could have variable measurements in various dimensions … Any evidence for/against this standard military way of producing clothing?

bk

rich

I measured out the '6' I have for Irvin Nuts, here it is again - hope it might be of some use :) Time to start wearing it I reckon!
irvinmeasurementfor6.jpg

size6.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Baron Kurtz said:
Presumably, as with all the other military gear, these things would have been made with varying sleeve lengths etc. on purpose, to fit the various potential measurements of airman of the same height? So, size 6s from the same manufacturer could have variable measurements in various dimensions … Any evidence for/against this standard military way of producing clothing?

bk

I don't know that any allowances were made for height, and for body shape, such as you see for the B-3.

It looks like sizing was standard, so that a taller person, for example, would just take a size up.

Here's the Irvin size chart, provided by Paddy for TFL .....

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=12581

fleet16b

Now that everyone has seen pics of my Links Irvin, I have a question.
It is not apparent in the pics but the jacket could do with a good exterior cleaning.

What do all you Irvin owners feel is the best method?
I went to the "care and preservation" section but there was not too much specically about cleaning Irvins.

Also, I know never to hang a vintage Irvin in a closet and I saw one that due to it's own weight , had fallen right thru the hanger.
I assume the best storage method would be to put the jacket in a cotton bag and store it on a shelf/flat surface.

Thanks
Fleet

PADDY_M

Correct :) Sheepskin sizings are courteousy of Andrew S. (he did all the hard work on that one and it's a GREAT resource for referencing ;) ).

As for Irvin weather - getting plenty of that now on the Scottish borders 'and' could have done with one like the DGL the other week in Seattle (just a bugger to drag such a heavy duty item around).

To all my Irvin/VLJ pals and your loved ones, have a lovely Xmas and may 09 bring you much happiness and good health.

Cheers Gents! Paddy M.

Roughwear

Thanks Paddy. It's still Irvin weather down south. I have worn my size 6 1940 DGL Irvin everyday for the last three weeks over my suit jacket and have not felt the cold!