• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

elc hilts a-2

shedonwanna

I tend towards a multiple jacket theory and either McQueen kept one or they were returned and used again after removing name tag and shoulder insignia. If McQueen had kept it there would probably be an image of him wearing it? If one existed intact, you would think it would have surfaced by now. Some one would want to sell it or show it off. The only thing I can state as fact is that I don't own it and I've never seen it in person.

I've had some experience with film and stage props as well as costume. The top tags I made for a jacket manufacturer using a more modern font likely used during the filming. The bottom tag I made with a common font from the WWII era.

a2jacketpatches

Nice job. That top one looks exactly like my font, I matched it with an actual WW2 era Theater made name tag because it was very similar to other WW2 fonts, a good round about font for the period. The Tandy leather factory font is everywhere so I just had to be different. I could spend thousands trying to match up all the varieties I've seen. If it didn't exist until after WW2 exactly as is, it did was within a micrometer or two. They were probably done using newspaper type set.

shedonwanna

a2jacketpatches said:
Nice job. That top one looks exactly like my font, I matched it with an actual WW2 era Theater made name tag because it was very similar to other WW2 fonts, a good round about font for the period. The Tandy leather factory font is everywhere so I just had to be different. I could spend thousands trying to match up all the varieties I've seen. If it didn't exist until after WW2 exactly as is, it did was within a micrometer or two. They were probably done using newspaper type set.

Yes, letterpress type and hot foil stamping machines and presses. Sometimes they just used the steel letter punch sets. Hundreds of fonts and variations between foundries. The customer wanted a Roman font to match the "HILTS" the Japanese jacket makers were using and then wanted the scoring around the edge for stitching. Don't think the movie tag had any scoring. I've enjoyed following this thread just to see all the "movie HILTS" jacket details described. More to it than just contract and maker - a Hollywood props department got involved along the way.

a2jacketpatches

Yup, was looking into the foil stamping machines, super expensive but maybe in my future some day. And yeah, glad to see new arrivals in the thread stating how it IS a lot deeper. I see this more of a prop reproduction than a vintage leather jacket reproduction and that's all I was getting at earlier. Maybe that's the trick to building the membership participation again, allowing everyone to explore new ideas and contribute them.

TOMG1401

I now firmly believe he kept the jacket, after reading whatever I could find and e mailing some relatives, 2 were cameramen on films he starred in, it seemed he had a penchant for taking items of wardrobe he liked,(This I was told was a common practice of high caliber stars and still is), Dug out random non publicity photo's of him wearing a G-1, several Formula 1 racing jackets, and Dirt Bike leathers he seemed to favor those.
So in lieu of any hard evidence to the contrary, that to my mind would be the sensible conclusion, I would even bet his son Chad could possibly now have his wardrobe inclusive of the elusive GE A-2

Silver Surfer

yup, tom, put in "protective custody" is the way i heard of props and gear growing feet. discouraged, but a blind eye was turned all the same.

mindful

Hi haven't been around for a while but occasionally browsing here's a picture of the new McQueens jacket I found on the net

tom james

According to my brother, who has collected American inline four m'cycles for years, he bought a 1921 ACE from McQueen in 1976. When he met McQueen to pick up the bike, McQueen was wearing an A-2 with stitching holes for a nametag. No further attention was paid to the jacket. Don't know if it's THE ONE but it shows he did have at least one A-2.

Marv

TOMG1401 said:
I now firmly believe he kept the jacket, after reading whatever I could find and e mailing some relatives, 2 were cameramen on films he starred in, it seemed he had a penchant for taking items of wardrobe he liked,(This I was told was a common practice of high caliber stars and still is), Dug out random non publicity photo's of him wearing a G-1, several Formula 1 racing jackets, and Dirt Bike leathers he seemed to favor those.
So in lieu of any hard evidence to the contrary, that to my mind would be the sensible conclusion, I would even bet his son Chad could possibly now have his wardrobe inclusive of the elusive GE A-2

Plus McQueen was a big fan of the Baracuta G9 in various colours, which he can be seen wearing both on and off screen also.........

Bombing IP

McQueen was still buying motorcycles right up to when he got sick , when I was working in Watervliet NY I found an Indian dealer ship run by an eccentric guy called Brownie Betar . Every time I went to the store it was closed ,I asked the store next door does this store ever open .He told it opens at 11pm and closes at 6am .When I finally got in there were a few motorbikes shelves full of spares and most of his business was repairing bicycles now . He told me he did not want to work on that Harley Junk .Any way he had an Indian Chief from the 1940s with shaved barrels and twin carburetors that Steve McQueen wanted to buy, Steve and Brownie talked over the phone and a deal had been struck this was late 1970s .But then McQueen got sick and the deal never happened .Apparently is was tricked out and could do 150 mph which I found hard to believe but the bike was still in the store this would have been 1990 . I did some research on Brownie and found out he was an Indian hill climber and had an Indian dealership . He also fixed FDR wheelchair when he was in town a very colorful character to say the least . Steve McQueen loved Indian motorcycles and owned many examples . To get back on topic I heard many years ago that Chad had the Great Escape A-2 used in the film .

BIP

johnwayne

Just to add a bit humour, like many I'm a big McQueen fan and some years back was invited to a company party that was themed 'dressed like an icon' so there's was only one choice for me! The missus went as Madonna 'like a virgin' and there I was decked out in boots, chino's, cut down sleeved navy sweatshirt, my house ELC A2, adjusted hairstyle (I am fair so it worked I thought!) and to complete the look I took my baseball glove and ball that if opportunity allowed I could throw against the wall!!
My 'fancy dress' had cost me nothing unlike my wife's and perhaps she was more recognise able than me as to the 'icon' - upon sharing some drinks a guest looked me up and down and asked who I was supposed to be and my missus answered for me......
oh, he's George Clooney like he was in the Great Escape!!!
Cheers
Wayne
PS I've a couple of G9 Barracutas, white baker boy cap, some Persol sunglasses but oddly never wanted a hilts A2 although I have sat in a Highland Green Mustang Fastback that was 'claimed' was owned by Paramount Studios as an extra from Bullitt!!!

Roughwear

Fortunately not. The jacket is way off a re-dyed RW and looks more like a generic A2 than a reproduction of a jacket from this iconic maker.

Smithy

I'll with Andrew, that's pretty iffy, and they want 600 quid for it?! To quote "The Castle"...

"Tell him he's dreaming!"