• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

elc hilts a-2

2BM2K

I am still interested in this thread. I guess most of the subject has been exhausted but there are still details
to be noted, such as the spacing of V & Hilts (as pointed out by a2j) which ELC have got wrong.

The Hilts/McQueen jacket has been highly popular over the years and so is worth discussing. Most A2 jacket makers have attempted this but as yet
no-one has got it right, the ELC one is a good but still missing something.

As for which contract I will go with a 27752 (until proven otherwise) simply because it is fitted with a bell Talon and I cannot
see any evidence of the zipper of having been changed. To me the jacket looks to be in good condition with little-wear on the lining, knits and zipper.

zipperbox.jpg

Strangely ELC make a point of stating that the leather zipper-box was not dyed. The HD photo above shows that it was dyed.

zipperbox2.jpg

The jacket does have a couple of tells. The bottom of the windflap is bent over and the right pocket-flap is also bent
over, see photo below, these can seen in the still photos and also in the movie images. As the jacket does not receive harsh treatment
during the various scenes my best guess is that only one jacket was used during filming.

HD2-restore1A.jpg

a2jacketpatches

That's great, thanks for validating a few points that can actually be validated. The decal being a re-paint is another good point. May be another idea to paint original artwork based on the movie SSI and have made into decals because they are ALL wrong.

I didn't mean to discredit anybody or belittle their interest in the contract or multiple prop theory, but enough is enough, you guys aren't gonna buy one anyway. And the prop fans really are out there. They are a visual bunch that really don't care about the guts, just what it looks like on the outside. The pay hundreds of dollars for a resin cast of what should be a metal object so I'm not sure the opinions here would put a scratch in what the actual sale will be.

TOMG1401

What I find extremely interesting is the genealogy of this particular piece of wardrobe. Over the years it was excepted that the owner of a Japanese vintage clothing, military repro gear company owned the jacket. Now someone posted that was not so. Being that this jacket has generated so much interest and attempted reproductions by numerous makers over the decades, and is still being re-invented today with no one actually having seen the jacket in person, is amazing, you would think the jacket's where about would be well known, no reason to keep it a secret, That is the real mystery, not the contract, one would solve the other. Where is it???

2BM2K

Where is it???

A good question.

Was there any interest in the jacket immediately after the film was released? Could it have been simply discarded along with
all the other film props?

a2jacketpatches

2BM2K, is this photo you posted a while back a still of McQueen from the movie? You mention the lack of detail in this example as if done in the costume department. If so I can say with certainty that it is not the same jacket as the second photo seen below and just may be the proof we need for a second jacket. Or at least that it's proof of a single jacket before and after re-painting of the SSI. Some of the scuffs look very similar. Then again, maybe Van can pop in here to slam my d in the dirt because he'll back up a guy who has a best friends half brothers sisters cousins neighbor who knows for sure :lol: He certainly has nothing else to add.

Silver Surfer

most gear is signed out of the wardrobe dept. when your scenes and takes are completed, the gear goes back to the wardrobe dept....that is, if it hasnt been put into "protective custody". i ended up with some 1940s aloha shirts that were put into "protective custody". i dont know how it is now, but when some gear got tired from wear, it was bulk sold to second hand, vintage clothing shops, etc. however, to my knowledge, major stars gear was not often sold. someone with lotsa time can review the movie credits, and determine the wardrobe company if the wardrobe did not not come from in the house studio. records for productions are and were kept. a little forensic, well maybe alot, of digging should get some answers. retiree work.

Vcruiser

a2jacketpatches said:
I didn't mean to discredit anybody or belittle their interest in the contract or multiple prop theory, but enough is enough

Sure you do, and they should just shut up unless they only make posts aligned with your interests in this thread. You've repeated 'enough is enough' more than enough. So you keep it going hoping to find any posters hopefully in agreement to give you a boost...

a2jacketpatches

Thousands of likes on their Facebook page. Looks like they cater to that huge movie prop crowd I'm talking about. Probably cheap stuff made in a sweat shop somewhere but they make movie wear from just about everything.

2BM2K

Or at least that it's proof of a single jacket before and after re-painting of the SSI. Some of the scuffs look very similar.

I had noticed the the same thing, different roundal but same scuffs etc. In some of the movie scenes the roundal looks very "fresh".

2BM2K

Silver Surfer said:
most gear is signed out of the wardrobe dept. when your scenes and takes are completed, the gear goes back to the wardrobe dept....that is, if it hasnt been put into "protective custody". i ended up with some 1940s aloha shirts that were put into "protective custody". i dont know how it is now, but when some gear got tired from wear, it was bulk sold to second hand, vintage clothing shops, etc. however, to my knowledge, major stars gear was not often sold. someone with lotsa time can review the movie credits, and determine the wardrobe company if the wardrobe did not not come from in the house studio. records for productions are and were kept. a little forensic, well maybe alot, of digging should get some answers. retiree work.
Interesting.

If the jacket is still in storage somewhere then, given it's likely value, it might be worthwhile trying to track it down.

Kennyz

I find this thread interesting.

For myself, and many other A-2 enthusiasts, the Great Escape jacket is a VERY iconic A-2.

Ken

a2jacketpatches

2BM2K said:
Or at least that it's proof of a single jacket before and after re-painting of the SSI. Some of the scuffs look very similar.

I had noticed the the same thing, different roundal but same scuffs etc. In some of the movie scenes the roundal looks very "fresh".

Looking back, seems to be a studio photo with the color background, and I'm gonna rent the movie on Amazon Prime and keep my eyes peeled. It'll be a great way to pass some patch making time with a childhood favorite. Hell, maybe I'll hand paint an original of the Movie SSI to have it decal-ized.

On a similar note, I'd like to see the jacket in motion and different lighting conditions to understand the look and feel of a re-dyed jacket. Stated earlier, with my airbrush system and the correct dye think I could do a great job creating a convincing vintage worn look. Would appreciate any insight on a good dye to use, thought to use acrylic paint at one point but would prefer something as historically correct as possible because I might offer as a professional service.

And yeah Kenny, the thread has been refreshed a bit with some new input and thoughts. Great to see it leveled out again and remained on target.

TOMG1401

If it is true that the Japanese clothing magnate never owned the jacket and there is no other mention of someone having claimed ownership, I think there is a 50-50 possibility that McQueen may have kept the jacket himself, it would fit with his interests and flight jackets he was known to wear, as a major, major star at the time his keeping it would not have been an issue.

Patches, I know someone who knows someone who once danced with someone who claims to have a prop Phaser from "Star Trek the Next Generation", sounds like something you'd be all over, interested? Trying to keep you interested in the thread, toy talk seem to be the trick

a2jacketpatches

The movie prop business is huge, VLJ as of lately is tiny, by the looks of it nobody here would purchase one anyway because the lack of proof and / or just not their thing. I'm just thinking out of this tiny little box. I'm not into props personally just dabbled for a week or two to sell a bunch of it. But holy smokes if you ever called them toys on those forums. You'd have a lot of fun there with all the replies you'd get. My interest here is all about the visual details that the artists in the movie costume department came up with and how to replicate it. Also, as per topic "elc hilts a-2" and what they've done with the idea. Speculating on what may not be, could possibly be, or has been, seems repetitive and endless without conclusion to me. But anyone is welcome in this thread as far as I'm concerned and as you can clearly see, the thread is moving along again nicely. And good point, very likely he kept the jacket himself.

Here's my latest constructive contribution to the thread, an accurate font with space as noted earlier with a nice patina. I do a lot of work for Gary and many others who require special attention to detail so not here just to blow smoke. If you happen to be watching, as of Monday there will be 20 of these on the way to England on the a2jacketpatches house Gary

ButteMT61

I might have looked at one of these 6-7 years ago. Of course now, I'd feel like a tool in the fully adorned model, but who knows, maybe once you put it on, you'll feel like a guy ready to ride a Trumpet or drive a nice green 'Stang.