• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman A-1

Persimmon

I think we always think A1’s were in Cape but it is believed other Leather was used.
On the Aero website to discuss their A1 offering it is stated that A1’s were made way back then in Goat.
Ken knows more than I could ever learn so happy to stand by that comment.
Indeed both styles are copied from originals The original Eastman offering was made after Gary bought an original. I seem to recall that jacket was sold on to John at Goodwear. ( I may be wrong on that last part - my main focus over the last few years has been on my motorcycles )

Jonesy86

Funny.....after tons of research, many jackets purchased, and more than a year out I am still looking at A-1s. Eastman still looks like a great jacket. :)

Anyone have a 44L they want to pass on?

Jonesy86

One of the best designs and best repros out there. I really must learn to hang on to them.
Looks great Grant the Capeskin is tougher than it looks.
I bet the A-1 Grant posted looks even better now. Anyone having trouble hanging onto a 44L let me know.
:)
Peace

Dr H

Came close to offering my .50 cal A-1 last week (a 44), but John L wisely counselled me against.
It’s such a good fit that I really should keep hold of it.

zoomer

My Eastman is going on 10 years old. During that time its biggest enemy has been perspiration. The sleeves are well accordioned with dark striping and there's a big spot or two on the back as well. I assume there's not much to be done about it but I much prefer wear to "rust."

zoomer

The ELC steer A-1 is really heavy, more so than your typical A-2. I've given both the steer and cape A-1s lots of use over the past decade-plus - the steer has loads of character but it's not "A-1" character, more of a work jacket feel. The cape feels like a flight jacket!

I put snaps inside the steer A-1 to use a 26oz wool Filson vest as winter liner. I used it inside-out so I had loads of pockets - and they were accessible at any time with the button front.

(Due to bodily expansion over time, the vest scheme ceased to be practicable, so I recently took the snaps out. The left pic also shows a button and snap move. This created a stormflap which butted neatly with the vest liner. The extra bottom panel came from an old cowhide key case.)
5478945925_3ffe00db88_o.jpg 5478945887_bafb6ccb34_o.jpg 5479545988_40b4483c8d_o.jpg

Last edited: