• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman A-1

John Lever

One of the best designs and best repros out there. I really must learn to hang on to them.
Looks great Grant the Capeskin is tougher than it looks.

Grant

Thanks all.
John, yeah the capeskin is very light weight, soft and pliable but takes a beating well with backpacks, a bike chain, etc. I also dig the trim fit of the jacket which gives it a 1930's kinda fit.

John Lever

Hey Grant, re the bike chain, have you seen the new (carbon fibre/kevlar ?) braided loops that are very light but impossible to cut ?

Jonesy86

A couple of pics of my ELC A-1 after about four years of hard wear. The jacket sees a lot of use on my bike in the spring, summer months when it's a little cool. I really dig how it's fading and taking on lighter shade.
This looks really nice. How would you compare it to a JC A-1?
Thanks

B-Man2

Grant
You have got a bevy of well worn beauties. Everytime you post another jacket it rocks ! This should serve as an example to all of us, Forget buying "Time Worn" , just wear the hell out of em.

Jonesy86

I just love that A-1 style. Hadn't seen the ElC version, especially one that was broken in the old fashioned way, by wearing the heck out of it. What leather is is make of?
Nice photo album too.

Persimmon

Eastman A1’s are made from Capeskin as per the original this was copied from and indeed many originals.

Persimmon

Goatskin has by many accounts a similar drape to the Capeskin but could be said to be stronger and was used for some of the original USAC jackets.
Capeskin is often said to be not particular robust although the repro’s I have seen and had seen pretty strong to me.
Of course they are not many originals left so perhaps that is true although equally the low quantities produced are another reason for limited vis ability after 80-90 years

Grant

Even though The capeskin on my ELC A-1
I just love that A-1 style. Hadn't seen the ElC version, especially one that was broken in the old fashioned way, by wearing the heck out of it. What leather is is make of?
Nice photo album too.

The cape on my A-1 is light in weight and thickness and proven very durable over the years. Yes, I’ve worn the hell out of it.

johnwayne

Alan, nice to see you back, I've always thought your A1 in your avatar is exactly how an A1 should fit!
As far as I know and I stand to be corrected but I'm not aware that original A1's were ever goat but early ELC repros were steerhide, I had one and sold it via here poss 2 years back, can't recall to whom though!! Definitely more robust and therefore a better everyday jacket nonetheless I personally never felt it draped like my cape skin A1 (SFA made). As has been commented here in the past, mine is similar to GW version withe raw triple stitched seams whereas others like ELC's go for conventional style - it's said both styles are based on originals?