• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EARLY ? IRVIN JACKET

repromann

Hello Folks,

I recently found an original IAC Irvin flying jacket in size 8.At first glance I thought it was a mid war jacket due to to the fact it has four panels on the back and on the front.On closer inspection I could just make out the word IRVINSUIT right a the top of the label which has been cut off which makes me think it may have been used over enemy territory.Even though there was next to nothing left of the label It was not of the type you would associate with a mid war Irvin.The next discovery was the DOT zips,the pullers are marked DOT MADE IN ENGLAND and the stopper box has no markings whatsoever which is very unusual.The next odd thing I found was the elastic collar strap was never fitted as there are no signs at all of holes or stitch marks! The jacket is extremely well made and very heavy with high quality shearling and very thick leather.I think this IAC Irvin is may be an early one,but not 100% sure, I hope the experts out there can help with this one.
Kind Regards, Simon :cool:

The jacket measurements are as follows...
outside chest zipped up 53"
pit to pit 26"
length of arm 24"
base of collar to bottom hem 27"

flyboy

My guess is a 1941-42 jacket - due to the four panels. But I will let the experts be the judge of that.
But - wow - what a find. A great jacket - in a big size - and in a great shape too! Congrats!

John Lever

Welcome to the forum Simon and thanks for sharing your stunning jacket. As Søren said it looks mid war but I am no expert, others here are and they will give you all the information you need. Apparently many zips were fitted like yours where the rivet missed the punched hole. It could be a replacement though.

repromann

Thanks for your compliments guys.

BTW: I have just noticed on the remains of the label just under the word IRVINSUIT is the word IRVING
instead of the familiar IRVIN,hope this helps.

Roughwear

I have owned a similar jacket by IAC. Your jacket has all the features of a very early jacket. Mine dated to 1933, having a 1933 date stamp on the label and yours is likely to be from this date too. The early ones were of a four panel construction, without the elastic strap just like this one. The unmarked zip slider bucket is typical of 1932-3 Irvins as are the Dot Made in England zips, although these zips were used from 1932 through to the early 1940s. This jacket would have been made before IAC had their first contract with the AM in 1935.

repromann

Hello Andrew,

Thanks for your input,roughly how many IRVIN jackets from 1933 do you think exist today and how many would be size 8.

Roughwear

repromann said:
Hello Andrew,

Thanks for your input,roughly how many IRVIN jackets from 1933 do you think exist today and how many would be size 8.

A very small number, perhaps under 20. I have seen four in ten years. There are early no size 8 jackets as such as this sizing method did not come in until early in the War!

chamboid

Fantastic, and amazed that both jackets this one and your Andrew are in such good condition. 1933! Amazing. Very good find and welcome Reproman.

repromann

Hello Andrew,

That is a very nice IAC jacket you have there,are you still in the exclusive 1933 IAC jacket club
or have you moved it on?. Regarding my last question,what I have should of asked was... are there any largest size IAC jackets known to exist that date from 1933?.

Roughwear

Simon, I no longer have the 1933 jacket. It was smaller than yours, a size 44 chest I would guess. I have never seen an early one as large as yours.