• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dubow mfg

Brettafett

Gary.... Bill Kelso. Aero? And then theres Lost Worlds' Dubow 27798 at over $1000... The players indeed.
But how does this jacket actually compare.....? We need to see one.

Flightengineer

"To make it even more clear for you, so that there will be no misunderstandings, we offer the same, or higher, quality jackets with those from renowned UK, USA and Japanese manufacturers who sell A-2 jackets at prices North of US$ 1,000." (с)

Sounds good, the photo of the original jacket dismantled on the part gives hope :)

27798.jpg

B-Man2

I’m with all of you. I like what I see, but honestly if all of these new manufacturers keep uping their game, two things are going to have to happen.
1. The big 3 or 4 high end makers are going to have to reduce their prices to stay competitive.
2. When I check out, I’m going to be buried with a shit load of A2 jackets in great condition.o_O

Dr H

I have no direct interest in this one as I’m not in the flight jacket market.
However,if I were looking for a Dubow A-2 then I’d go for this one.
If Platon’s involved in the research and production then it will be really solid.

Last edited:

Flightengineer

I’m with all of you. I like what I see, but honestly if all of these new manufacturers keep uping their game, two things are going to have to happen.
1. The big 3 or 4 high end makers are going to have to reduce their prices to stay competitive.
2. When I check out, I’m going to be buried with a shit load of A2 jackets in great condition.o_O

Burt, I agree with you on 300% :)

Brettafett

mmmm reading the terms and conditions...
"Our standard turnaround time is around 2 to 3 weeks. However, delivery times may be affected by factors outside our control, such as shortage of materials from our suppliers. In such cases, you agree delivery may take up to about 6-8 months." Thats a long time again, to wait and I assume payment is taken in full at time of order.
"as we keep no stock but rather make every jacket custom ordered, we regret but cannot accept returned jackets for sizing reasons."
So if a regular/ standard size jacket is ordered and the sleeves are a bit short, or the jacket feels off, I cannot return it for a refund.
Will just have to be meticulously careful when ordering regs measurements and details.

Smithy

This new Dubow is apparently in Vicenza Italian horsehide and costs €450 (pretty much £400). Another repro A-2 by another maker in this Vicenza stuff costs £700. That's a pretty dramatic difference so if this is kosher this is a bit of a big deal for the A-2 repro market. An Italian horsehide leather, based on an original pattern A-2 and at a "mid range" price.

The problem with that is that one or two in the past have said that they can't make A-2s for less so if they suddenly significantly drop their prices it wouldn't look terribly good for their integrity.

Dr H

I was always under the impression Stu and Gary had the Dubow name registered in various different regions?
Never been a fan of the Dubow A-2 but you can't argue with the price.

Unlike e.g. Poughkeepsie (which has to be most nondescript of the lot), the Dubow contacts split opinions (pointed collar, bold epaulettes, etc.), but my Good Wear 27798 was one of the most comfortable A-2 patterns that I ever wore.

Brettafett

I am more partial to the more traditional-collared 20960 myself (maybe also the 1755). Not the world's biggest fan of the pointy, curved-out collar, even though I know many love it.
If thats kept subtle, then you may win me over. Besides my old Lost World's 27798, I am not very familiar with Dubows.

Ken at Aero Leather

This new Dubow is apparently in Vicenza Italian horsehide and costs €450 (pretty much £400). Another repro A-2 by another maker in this Vicenza stuff costs £700. That's a pretty dramatic difference so if this is kosher this is a bit of a big deal for the A-2 repro market. An Italian horsehide leather, based on an original pattern A-2 and at a "mid range" price.

The problem with that is that one or two in the past have said that they can't make A-2s for less so if they suddenly significantly drop their prices it wouldn't look terribly good for their integrity.

Don't expect to see any change in Aero's price, not unless we slash staff wages and that's not going to happen.
Nobody working in the West could produce an A-2 jacket for that price, not even in Greece even with their economic trpouble.
The jacket on the website looks nothing like the Vicenza that Aero use take a look at our website. There are lots of tanneries in Vicenza
Opening with a virtual "loss leader" is a very good way of getting a new firm off the ground, especially with the "returns policy"

MikeyB-17

This is all good news, watching the likes of ELC ‘s prices spiral off into the stratosphere was getting depressing, so it’s nice to think a decent jacket can still be had for a ‘reasonable ‘ price (£400, mind you, is still a fair wedge). I tend to think that ELC and their ilk will sail on regardless. They’ve got people prepared to pay what they’re charging, so they’re gonna carry right on charging it.

Ken at Aero Leather

According to the blurb on their website, the jackets are made in Athens, Greece.

Then this is a "loss leader" £333 Plus VAT, It can't be made for that price. My advice, get one while you can before the price goes up...............don't worry about Aero, we've got plenty of other designs to sell :>)

Maybe this is a sideline of Bill Kelso's for those who are put off by some of the previous antics.

Great Dubow memorabilia on their site..........they forgot to add that all Dubow's Horsehide came from Horween, same as their glove and football leathers.

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

That's according to you.

That's funny Ken, never expected you to be anti or downplay a new maker's offerings ;)

If you re-read the post you'll see I advise you guys buy one, that's not anti nor sarcastic, where's the downplay in that?
There's nothing wrong with loss leaders, it's a common practice in all kinds of fields. It costs less than a PR promotional campaign If one has confidence in one's product, and the Dubow is obviously a quality product, then profits can wait, the price can gradually goup, Euros become Pounds, the price gradually creeps up to a realistic level and all is hunky dory until someone starts shouting the odds on a forum and, "here we go round the mulberry bush" again............deja vu