• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dubow mfg

Teddy

You got that bloody right!
Just saying that while I had my disagreements with Ken before, I really didn't understand why his comments on page 2 are problematic...he even suggested that people buy one before price goes up.

Smithy

Just saying that while I had my disagreements with Ken before, I really didn't understand why his comments on page 2 are problematic...he even suggested that people buy one before price goes up.

If you want to bring all that hoofluff up again you might be on your own, I'd say all of us are happy it's over. Maybe let sleeping dogs lie eh?

ButteMT61

I was checking my e-mail which I don't do too often. Got a note from Platon on August 7th that my jacket shipped out. Considering that the order was placed 7/24, the manufacturing time is about the same as Diamond Dave's, less than 2 weeks.

He enclosed the tracking number, so it is on its way.
Wait - there's a jacket to be had here? Whoda thunk it! ;)

Silver Surfer

of the many original a-2 contracts, aeros and dubows tended to be the shortest in body length. also, due to construction at the sleeve meets body area, dubows have narrower shoulders then other contracts per specific size. example: if an original a size 40 rough wear has 18" shoulders, a dubow will have 17 1/2" shoulders. never the less, dubows were, and are comfy wearers.

Technonut2112

So, from what I gather.... Juanito, Silver Surfer, and myself have a Dubow coming. Anyone else? Coming from Platon, I have no doubt that these will be very nicely constructed and detailed. After tirelessly attempting to sniff-out 'budget' HH A-2 repros from the 4 corners of the globe for quite some time, this is hands-down the best deal I've found anywhere.

Last edited:

B-Man2

So, from what I gather.... Juanito, Silver Surfer, and myself have a Dubow coming. Anyone else? Coming from Platon, I have no doubt that these will be very nicely constructed and detailed. After tirelessly attempting to sniff-out 'budget' HH A-2 repros from the 4 corners of the globe for quite some time, this is hands-down the best deal I've found anywhere.

I think most of us are looking forward to seeing your new Dubows. Please let us know when they arrive.

Technonut2112

I plan on posting reviews both here, and the FL... :) If successful, and well-received, I'm hoping that Platon will go on to repro other makers / contracts. It would be absolutely ass-kicking to have an entire collection of detailed, iconic contracts at this price-point. :D

jeremiah

I for one would love to hear the tale of the BK split. Definitely look forward to seeing the jacket though. With the BK sale going on I wonder about the longevity of BK as a business.

Last edited:

Technonut2112

I never really got around to properly measuring my GW RW 27752 since purchasing it a couple of years ago on the bay. I just remember the #'s being 'close enough' in the listing, and after it arrived, being VERY pleased with the fit after I tried it on. Honestly, it fits like it was actually made for me. :cool:

After throwing the tape on, I was surprised to see how close it is to this Dubow size 44 in comparison. (The GW 27752 is tagged a 46, which equates to a 44):

GW RW 27752:

Pit-Pit: 23"
Shoulders: 18.5"
Back Length: 24.75"
Sleeves: 25.75"

Dubow 27798 Size 44

Pit-Pit: 23.5"
Shoulders: 18.5"
Back Length: 24.75"
Sleeves: 25.75"

Except for the 1/2" pit-pit difference, identical to one another. :) Although a different pattern, I am confident that the Dubow will fit me VERY well. I'm glad that I didn't go for the 46 to be on the safe side now. Like I posted before, the 'Sizing Guidance' page on Platon's site was quite helpful when everything was figured up. My GW measurements confirm it. ;)

EDIT: Before anyone posts that my GW could have had the lengths altered for the previous owner, etc.. My 27752 was made to be a DIRECT comparison of an original size 44 RW 27752 by JC, unaltered by the 2nd owner, and can be considered an accurate representation IMO. I'm aware that there would of course be variations. It just amazes me how close the Dubow 44 is. :) Here's pics of my jacket:

comparison1 (2).jpg

comparison2 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Brettafett

Yes, I am on the fence. I want to see one and hear your opinions... I'm sure they are top notch... Its mainly due to me being in-between sizes again.
A 40 looks to be about right, but the shoulders (as correctly mentioned above) based on measurements sent by the man himself, are 17.5... a bit narrow to be comfortable for me.
The 42 has 18 shoulders, but then could be on the roomy side, torso-wise....

Roughwear

I bought the original 27752 from John several years ago. His repros modelled on it are very accurate. However the pockets on the repro appear shorter than on the original.

zoomer

If successful, and well-received, I'm hoping that Platon will go on to repro other makers / contracts. It would be absolutely ass-kicking to have an entire collection of detailed, iconic contracts at this price-point. :D
It could happen - as long as iconic contracts means only those used widely in WW2. I would be over the moon to see 1930s A-2s repopped for this market but it will never be - their extra construction details and limited appeal mean they will always be high-end.

Last edited:

Rutger

These are prices that BK started with when they began.
If you have reasonable acces to a low cost carrier like EZ or Ryan it could pay to book a flight to Greece and have yourself measured, try a couple jackets and get the closest-to-best possible fit. It's not just the usual basic measurements that determine how you end up liking or disliking a jacket.
The trip and a short stay may cost somewhere like oh 300-400€ or so, but what's a BK, Eastman, GW or Aero nowadays?

Roughwear

I bought the original 27752 from John several years ago. His repros modelled on it are very accurate. However the pockets on the repro appear shorter than on the original.

To some extent, yes, but the fact that John is closer to the camera in the original accentuates any difference, personally I much prefer the pocket size on the repro

The pockets are a different size and it is not the camera angle at all. Having owned several GWs from the 27752 contract and compared them with the original there was significant difference in the height of the pockets.

Technonut2112

I like the pockets on this 27752 myself.. From what I understand, JC has handled many RW's, and it's possible that pocket height varied enough from what he had seen, to lean towards the most aesthetically pleasing. In fact, I have a few pics of originals with pockets which look to be of the smaller variety (at least to me) on the Pinterest page linked in my sig...

Anyhow, I was referring more to the sizing comparison of course when posting the pics, which looks pretty bang-on to me... ;)

EDIT: Here's an original 27752 in an obviously smaller size. Generally, pocket size remained the same regardless of jacket size when manufactured. It appears to me that these particular pockets on a larger 44 would be very similar in size to my GW 27752. The pocket flap shape is damn near identical as well. The pic of my GW below is just about a dead-ringer for this original, except for larger, and in better condition:

3ee656d30bdc48f42cc540f921c08ed0.jpg

e0212784a251802eba4596dbbb1b8051--coats-jackets.jpg

Last edited:

Teddy

I was checking my e-mail which I don't do too often. Got a note from Platon on August 7th that my jacket shipped out. Considering that the order was placed 7/24, the manufacturing time is about the same as Diamond Dave's, less than 2 weeks.

He enclosed the tracking number, so it is on its way.
Have you received the jacket? We'd love to take a sneakpeek!

Technonut2112

I have been travelling the last 10 days or so. Getting home tomorrow night and will see then.

Nice package to come home to.. :) I was around back in Platon's heyday here (before, and for awhile after the server crash IIRC), and despite any forum drama, he was just as passionate about the jackets and details as any other member here. Add to that the time he spent at BK on the patterning and manufacturing end, and I can't see his Dubow being anything less than an outstanding repro.. ;) TBH, I think that some are cutting off their nose to spite their face going by a few of the comments I've read, and will be surprised about just how nice and detailed a $568.00 USD Dubow repro can be. I know I'm looking quite forward to seeing mine next month. :D I've already began putting some $$ away for one in Russet when available.;)

EDIT: Just had to post a pic of the Russet from Platon's site since I mentioned it... :p;) I'm continuously on the hunt for great deals on A-2's, and have not ran-across anything that tops this Dubow to date for the $$:

jadubowmfg_017_8110.jpg

Last edited: