• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dubow mfg

Technonut2112

They did a good job but Eastman's pocket flaps are a little different from this repro. It is always sensible to pattern from an original.

https://www.eastmanleather.com/type-star-sportswear-contract-28557-p-163.html

Now, that's pretty good praise coming from an expert like yourself Andrew.. :) Considering that Eastman A-2's are running about $1400.00 USD now, I think that many except for the most discerning collectors would be pleased to throw one of these veg-tanned HH 'Stars' on their backs at under $500.00 USD shipped for a nice, fairly accurate wearer... ;)

EDIT: Instead of rehashing my previous posts here in another thread, I will just start fresh AFTER my Pirates RW 1401-P arrives, and is in-hand. I will go into my experience from the initial order, to receiving the jacket, and supply Taobao links to quite a few jackets which may interest some of the membership. Be looking for it within a couple of weeks.. If anyone has questions which needs answering right away, please redirect to my other thread here:

http://vintageleatherjackets.org/th...chinese-military-leather-jacket-repros.21201/

Last edited:

Brettafett

I sincerely wonder how this jacket will compare to the afor-discussed JADubow, coming in at circa $566 incl postage.

Technonut2112

I sincerely wonder how this jacket will compare to the afor-discussed JADubow, coming in at circa $566 incl postage.

We shall see... ;) Perhaps the hides aren't as good as 'Dubows", but then again, the Chinese manufacturers have taken to sourcing hides from Japan & Italy recently. :cool: Not having to wait potentially for months is a plus in my book also. As I said before, the Chinese are renowned 'replicators' for the right price, and it does appear that they dissected and patterned from an Eastman Star, and McCoys RW 1401-P... I feel pretty damn good about it, and I have yet to be burned by a well-researched Chinese garment purchase, including their sizing charts being more or less correct. :)

Pilot

Amazing, looks all great on photos...
but....looking at the world markets price for quality horsehides = approx 40,—Euro/m2...for an A-2 approx 4 m2 are needed...plus the Talon zipper, the studs, the hooks,the knits for waist/cuffs, the liner, the work/labor etc...I wonder and admire...
Please show what will be delivered...I am trainable and can be convinced...
Back on the mudbay BTW.

Last edited:

zoomer

I wrote Platon for extra measurements on Dubows, sizes 46 and 48.
He replied that "all we have" is the standard chest, shoulder, back length and sleeve.
Either he doesn't have stock yet - or any patterns! - or else he considers certain fit details to be proprietary.

Last edited:

B-Man2

This is nuts, how can he expect someone to buy a jacket , that can’t be returned , without knowing the measurements of the jacket and whether or not it will fit properly? Like I said on an earlier post , if anyone buys one of these, make sure you do it through eBay and get the protection of their return policy .

Technonut2112

I purchased one in seal from eBay (due to ship in September), and am trying to nail-down either a 44 or 46. I added the 44 measurements to the others... The 44 looks to be VERY close to what would fit me well, but I'm afraid the shoulders will be a bit narrow. I usually need at least 19" for a good fit depending upon the pattern. Never owned a Dubow before, but until I receive the #'s for a 46, it looks like the shoulders *should* be 19", going from 17.5 / 18 / and 18.5... The back length *should* be 25", which would be good, and 26" for sleeves, going by the sizing bumps from 40-44.

I'm waiting to hear from Platon to confirm, but it looks like a size 46 should do the trick for me. ;) The only thing that would concern me is the pit-pit. If the 40-44 progression applies to the 46, the pit-pit would be 24.5".... I guess it wouldn't be too bad, considering that I usually go for 23.5-24".. Better 1/2" looser than I like in the chest, than everything a bit snug / short except for the chest in a 44.. :)

Screenshot_2018-08-09 technos2112 yahoo com - Yahoo Mail.png

So far:

size 40
pit to pit 21.5
shoulders 17.5
back 24.25
sleeve 25.25

size 42
pit to pit 22.5
shoulders 18
back 24.5
sleeve 25.5

size 44
pit to pit: 23.5
shoulders: 18.5
back: 24.75
sleeve: 25.75

EDIT: I carefully looked over the instructions for taking measurements (sizing guidance) on the Dubow site. IIRC, doesn't JC use the same 'shoulder circumference' measurement? For only making standard sizes, I think that CAREFULLY going over the sizing guidance will pretty much ensure that one receives a nicely fitting jacket, as long as they are a standard, 'regular' size. If not, they're just out of luck on this deal unfortunately.

After figuring it all up, I realized that I had others take my actual shoulder measurements differently, and that the 19-19.5" I used for many years is more like 18.5"... EXACTLY what the size 44 above shows. Wasn't enough to cause noticeable shoulder-droop on my other jackets, but I now know that the specs on my incoming Dubow should fit better than any other A-2 I've owned, if I go with my normal size 44. The back length and sleeves have only a 1/4" difference than I'm used to, and should still fit well. Damn, after over 30 years of being a jacketholic, I'm just figuring the correct shoulders measurement out.

EDIT: I contacted Platon, and confirmed that I want the size 44. It appears that a bit more info was just added to the 'Sizing Guidance' page, and IMO, it will greatly help 'standard' sized folks in receiving a great fit. :) It all came together for me and made sense after I went through everything, and thought about it. ;)

Last edited:

zoomer

From Platon:

Size 46
pit to pit 24.5
shoulders 19
back 25
sleeve 26

Size 48
pit to pit 25.5
shoulders 19.5
back 25.25
sleeve 26.25

They seem to be cut short thru the body. If they were this short in front, I'd pass 'em by.

B-Man2

From Platon:

Size 46
pit to pit 24.5
shoulders 19
back 25
sleeve 26

Size 48
pit to pit 25.5
shoulders 19.5
back 25.25
sleeve 26.25

They seem to be cut short thru the body. If they were this short in front, I'd pass 'em by.

Zoomer
Agreed 25 1/4 inches in the back is pretty short for a 48.
Actually 19 1/2 in the shoulders is also on the small side for a 48.
however, for the price I guess I could live with that.

zoomer

Keep in mind, too, the Big Rich Milk-Fed American - not just too fat, but too tall, taking up too many resources and too much space - is something of a negative stereotype in Europe AND Asia. There may be a quiet sentiment that he does not really merit a bargain, and can f off to the high price class.

Last edited:

Juanito

I was checking my e-mail which I don't do too often. Got a note from Platon on August 7th that my jacket shipped out. Considering that the order was placed 7/24, the manufacturing time is about the same as Diamond Dave's, less than 2 weeks.

He enclosed the tracking number, so it is on its way.

Last edited: