• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Deliberate deception or a genuine mistake?

a2jacketpatches

As much as I like to help out the next guy with info, I have to agree with Peter. Just had a discussion with one of the pickers here at the swap meet. He made a comment about the possibility of my patches being passed off as real. And he also whines when he sees me with something good after I explain to him what I have as if the seller or he would even know if I didn't tell him. I said it goes both ways when you don't do your homework. You miss out on great deals or you can pay too much for crap. Not that the Eastman jacket or artwork is crap, but just being the Nine O Nine should have everyone second guessing especially with the tag being conveniently gone.

Hey, there's me in the Nine O Nine now and i'm wearing the same jacket, my buddy got some of that rare color film and snapped the photo. I'm 99 years old now but remember this like it was yesterday, ya ya, that's the ticket! :lol:

dmar836

"...Not that the Eastman jacket or artwork is crap,..."

Up for debate. I'm finding some pretty sneaky assembly shortcuts taken on my ELC Star.

Funny, I saved my Palm Pre cell phone(horrible thing) envisioning the day I can drop it in the local lake from about 2000'. It's looking more and more like it will be wrapped in an ELC Star!

Rant over,
Dave

Steve27752

dmar836 said:
"...Not that the Eastman jacket or artwork is crap,..."

Up for debate. I'm finding some pretty sneaky assembly shortcuts taken on my ELC Star.

Funny, I saved my Palm Pre cell phone(horrible thing) envisioning the day I can drop it in the local lake from about 2000'. It's looking more and more like it will be wrapped in an ELC Star!

Rant over,
Dave

Going off topic I know. But, what is wrong with your Star?

robrinay

Sadly even if a seller is suspended for contravention of eBay rules they will frequently begin trading again under a new identity. Look out for relatively low 100% positive feedback scores (often comprised of low value items by a handful of buyers), or a small number of recent sales after long inactivity.

DiamondDave

I also took a second to report the item as a reproduction and stated that "many in the community had informed the seller"... eBay won't do anything more than likely, but by the GODS, if I have to follow their stupid rules, and get gouged by them, so should this asshole!

Rant complete,

DD

a2jacketpatches

I did both, report to Ebay and contact him directly asking why he continues this false claim of an original WW2 jacket. I am very surprised that he'll take the chance of this coming back to bite him as I'm sure a few guys here also contacted him directly. Guess it's possible that whoever is buying knows it's a repop as the price is decent for the artwork and the jacket it's on. The nose art is very well done and has a very nice aged look to it.

foster

If you mention that it is a listing that includes bombs / ordnance, they will pull it. And there are bombs painted on the jacket.

Some years ago a friend of mine was selling a canvas and leather cover for a WWII .30 cal machine gun. Not the gun or anything restricted, but a piece of canvas and leather. They pulled his listing because someone complained it was a "machine gun accessory". :roll:

dmar836

Doubtful as it's already at nearly $1K USD! eBay, together with their PP subsidiary, stand to skim about $150 from that already.

From eBay's commission-driven-only perspective, the sun shines on the original and the fake so they will turn a deaf ear on this one.

JMO,
Dave

a2jacketpatches

If it really irritates someone that much, you could high bid it, wait a few days and refuse to pay, then file a complaint that it's misrepresented with Ebay.

dmar836

Mmm, two wrongs don't make a right. With my luck, the eBay police would show up at the door or somehow charge my CC or bank account through PP. That wouldn't surprise me one bit.
But yes it still bugs me that much!
Dave

a2jacketpatches

Two wrongs don't make a right, but you'd win the (Item not as described) case as long as there's no history of complaining about it, otherwise a case could be filed right back at you for malicious buying. You wouldn't get charged, worst case scenario is an unpaid item strike. Not much else you can do about it except encourage guys to learn their stuff. Or maybe grind your teeth and pop some bubble wrap

Speaking of that, maybe there is something we can do about it like on USMF. The have a pinned fake thread. This one could be first with the clues that peg it as a repro. Conveniently missing tag, non WW2 existent Long size, and maybe some photos of real Nine O Nine Artwork. Instead of us all throwing in a pointless rant or approaching Ebay from an angle to combat this kind of thing, we could actually do something worthwhile. I'm sure at times there would be something that could not be determined for sure but there would be some good opinions for potential buyers to consider. I'm always inviting new collectors and enthusiasts here. As for the guys that are now and continue to get burned, it's gotta happen once or twice anyway, part of paying your dues. I got burned on patches and a B-15 Civy once with a Tank Destroyer patch on it, but it won't happen again.

So whatcha think Mods? There's got to be hundreds of threads just like this one scattered throughout this forum already. Why not have a place for it, I'm wondering why it's not already here.

a2jacketpatches

Looks like the USMF recently changed the topic title to Real or what? It did say Fake alert or something but it's the same thread.

Another idea is to do a buying guide on Ebay, there's a community forum as well where you can put your JMO's and two cents. I do believe there's other concerns that Ebay has and the fake market isn't all that big for them to look the other way just to profit from it. If they pulled something every time an accusation was made, members would be abuse it and be busting balls all the time. So rather than blame Ebay, lets be proactive and do something real about it. I'd be happy to put up a buying guide considering my user name is a2jacketpatches. I'll just need some guys here to generate a few paragraphs of helpful info.

Steve27752

I just sent this message to 'Flyboy'.
For your information, this jacket is not an original WW11 A2 jacket.
It is a modern Eastman Leather Clothing reproduction.
Let's see if i get a reply.