• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Counterfeit

Persimmon

Yes indeed. Or a version of the company.
They were still around just a few years back when I bought some boots there.

Southoftheborder

The thing about Burberry and Rolex and all the other 'aspirational brands' in marketing bollock speak is that their claimed exclusivity is their stock in trade. It's what they are about and why they aim to be reassuringly expensive. Buyers of these brands like to think of themselves as members of an elite; though if it is one it's a rapidly expanding one. More and more of the newly well off around the world can afford these brands as countries become richer but more unequal with globalisation. So it makes sense in a perverted way in a perverted market to destroy your product to keep it from being sold cheaply and worn by the 'wrong sort of person.'

Burberry used to make good raincoats which cost about twice as much as other run of the mill raincoats and about the same price as Aquascutum - which were equally as good. But they were worth it because they kept you dry, were good quality and looked good. I bought one nearly forty years ago and it was still just about wearable when I got rid of it a couple of years ago. But when they moved up market and became 'aspirational' the price of the product lost any real relationship with its quality. At nearly £2000 a modern Burberry raincoat is many times the price of other decent macs and even twice the price of an Aquascutum.

Rolex is the same and I think of them as the flash BMW of watches; compared to Omega which is a staid old style Mercedes from when they were engineering led before the accountants took over.