Cats Paw soles, heels and boot repair

Discussion in 'Related Gear' started by stanier, Dec 24, 2017.

1. stanier

stanier Active Member

Does anyone know of a boot repair service in the UK that can repair to a high standard using Cats Paw white dot sole and heel units?

Even if I have to source the replacement parts?

I’ve found places in the US and Japan but after sending to them and shipping back plus customs etc it feels easier and cheaper to just buy new boots so I’ve ended up with a small number of pairs of boots that just need repairing to be as good as new.

Cheers all and happy Christmas!

2. gav

gav Member

I have a pair of shell cordovan Alden’s with this chap right now: http://www.felixjouanneau.com/
    Not much info on his site but I am pretty hopeful. I visited his workshop in east London and he makes bespoke custom boots as well as repairs.
    Custom lasts, Hand welting etc, dr sole and Vibram soles. If you can find cats paws, he will be able to do them justice I’m sure.
    I’ll update when my Alden resole/ rebuild is done.

3. stanier

stanier Active Member

Thanks for the reply Gav!

Yes please let us know how you get on.

Cheers

4. gav

gav Member

I’m picking my Alden cigar shell Indy boots up on Tuesday. These were rewelted and resoled.

The original Alden welt was pretty sloppy if I’m honest so I was keen to get them done better when the time for resole came.

Felix hand welted them so that should be a great improvement. I also asked for a thin rubber half sole and heel for a bit of longevity over leather.

Looks promising.

Attached Files:

Steve27752 likes this.
  5. blackrat2

blackrat2 Active Member

Gav how did you get on with your cobbler?
    Did anyone use Cats Paw in the end

6. gav

gav Member

Completely happy with the work - Much better welt stitching than the original Alden welt. The only cats paws I have are on my Toys McCoy boots - I'm not that bothered to hunt for them for other boots . Dr Sole are good enough for me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

blackrat2 and Cobblers161 like this.
  7. Cobblers161

Cobblers161 Well-Known Member

That's a beautiful job, they look stunning.

I've a pair of Chromexcel Indy's and some Alden Roy boots in need of treatment, as you mentioned the Alden welts are shoddy particularly on the Roy's.

How much does Felix charge if you don't mind me asking?

8. gav

gav Member

A standard resole using the original welt is I think around £100 with dr sole.
    This rebuild - including new hand stitched welt, double leather sole and rubber 1/2 sole and heel was £180.

9. gramballard

gramballard New Member

Not in the UK, but the Netherlands. I'm in London but have used Wijsman for various vintage USA footwear repairs: Alden, Florsheim Imperial, Russell Moccasin. Cat's Paw repairs are something they do pretty routinely I would imagine. I can't recommend them highly enough.

https://www.instagram.com/wijsmancobblers

10. stanier

stanier Active Member

It looks like Felix does an extremely good job. When I get hold of some Cats Paw sole and heel units I may we’ll be getting him to do the job.

I emailed American Biltrite about 3 months ago enquiring about getting hold of some Cats Paw units even if a it meant buying a big carton full (and possibley selling some on) but I’ve had zero reply. I will be giving them a call at some point.

11. gav

gav Member

I’ve used wijsman for a pair of Russell moccasin. They were great too.
    Felix is just 10 minutes from my office though, no shipping and I can explain face to face what I want - I think he will be my go to cobbler now.
    Might be interested in some cats paw units if you need to sell some @stanier