• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Care: Eastman War Horse--Got soaking wet, now stiff and dry

Juanito

"That boy," my grandmother would often say when she say someone doing something particulary dumb, "doesn't have enough sense to come in out of the rain."

Well, that would be me last week. While wearing my Eastman Roughwear 1401-P made from War Horse, I got caught in an East Coast style downpour (I live in Oregon). To make a long story short, the jacket (and I) got literally sopping wet--soaked clear through.

Now, I had this same experience about 25 years ago with another Eastman horsehide A-2. While my t-shirt was turned orange by with the lining or the leather leaching into it, it dried out and was no worse for the wear. If anything it may have given it a tad more character.

Not this time though with the War Horse jacket; I hung the jacket to dry turning it inside and right side out a few times expecting the same things, but no...The jacket shrunk in length about an inch in length, has the wavy zipper syndrome (I can live with that and it still fits), and there are areas that look like suede. The main issue is that aside from an area that covers the left shoulder blade, the jacket is literally as stiff and seemingly dry as cardboard.

So, what to do? Wear it and see if it softens up? Used Pecard's? Use Vaseline? Do some other thing I haven't though of? The stiffness doesn't bother me, lord knows I have owned a lit of stiff jackets, it is the seeming dryness that is concerning.

Any suggestions or similar experiences?

Silver Surfer

Re: Care: Eastman War Horse--Got soaking wet, now stiff and

making sure that the jac is completely dry, throw it in the dryer [NO HEAT] with a towel or two for 15 minutes. if it is still stiff, do again.

flyboy

I would give it a solid layer of Pecards, rub it in and leave it for a night. Wipe off what's left the next day.

FlyingYankee

I recommend wearing until dry , do not leave it in the sun unless you want shrinkage

John Lever

Good tip even with dry jackets,the sun can cause shrinkage.

Skyhawk

I would put Renapur conditioner on it and leave it on 24-48 hrs. Them wipe off excess with a lint free towel. I used to use Pecards but now use Renapur. It's similar but has no petroleum products in it, it's bees wax based. Available on Amazon.

Ole

Banned
Juanito: What you describe is the downside of aniline leathers. To me is is proof that original A-2 weren't aniline, except maybe some of the early contracts.

B-Man2

How about some before and after photos for other dummies like myself so we can see how things turned out?

Grant

I'd ask Gary or Rob what to do. I'm sure this isn't the first time this has happened to one of their jackets.

Juanito

I ended up rubbing it full of Vaseline/petroleum jelly and it came out fine except for the shrinkage--it never made it back it its original size.

I do find it odd that among the premium makers who offer "exact copy" jackets, that pigment finish is not the norm per contract as opposed to aniline. Charles DiSipio of Nose Art Unlimited (oops, I mean History Preservation Associates) had some interesting commentary regarding this over in the Hat Lounge some time ago. Alas, perhaps even the most accurate reproductions bend slightly to the fashion end.

coalman

Hi

Could anybody tell me if any of the other hides used by ELC would also be effected in this way?

Regards

John

s4rmark

My 2010 ELC rough wear 27752 got a good soaking at this years war and peace show. I left it on a chair to dry out and the elbow panel on the right arm cracked quite deeply in various places . I sent it to Eastman and they replaced the panel . I received it back yesterday.