• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can we all get along?

Silver Surfer

awwwww nutz. i was waiting for the call to a duel. ya know, like the one steve challenged abe to. abe, being the wry kinda guy he was, and having to have that wry sense of humor he had due to cracks about his ungainly height, squeaky voice, and self learned education, accepted the duel. as was the custom of the time, he had choice regarding weapons, time and place. he picked the time, place and weapon [ knowing fully well that he was the larger target], which was horseshit thrown at ten paces. understandably, the duel was canceled.

pawine

watchmanjimg said:
pawine said:
Imagine how much it sucked for the member trying to sell a great pair of rare pants when you mistakenly muddied up his thread with false claims. Encouraging him that it was the right place to sell them but ensuring that all future prospective buyers see your claim that they are only worth $100. Can't blame Van for that.

Take another look at the thread that prompted this discussion and you'll see that's not what happened at all. Sean may have been mistaken about the potential value of the pants (to the right buyer), but Van's remarks did nothing to correct the error. On the other hand, Andrew (Roughwear) was able to offer useful information about the pants without any personal attacks or offensive remarks. That's disagreeing without being disagreeable, which is what I've been advocating here all along.

Look, Van was clearly sticking it to him, not trying to defend him, he can take care of himself. The fact is that all of the hand-wringing about manners and being guests is very hollow when Sean, even when presented with the proper information, refused to back down, up to and including his last post on that thread. I'm all for friendly (or even heated) debate on a thread, but not in B&S, and especially when the only example cited is clearly a civilian version. And his defense on here is that others should have been more clear in correcting him sooner? So he was wrong but it's the fault of others for not correcting him quickly? How about not muddying up a sale unless you have clear information in the first place? That might go a long way towards civility.

watchmanjimg

pawine said:
Look, Van was clearly sticking it to him, not trying to defend him, he can take care of himself. The fact is that all of the hand-wringing about manners and being guests is very hollow when Sean, even when presented with the proper information, refused to back down, up to and including his last post on that thread. I'm all for friendly (or even heated) debate on a thread, but not in B&S, and especially when the only example cited is clearly a civilian version. And his defense on here is that others should have been more clear in correcting him sooner? So he was wrong but it's the fault of others for not correcting him quickly? How about not muddying up a sale unless you have clear information in the first place? That might go a long way towards civility.

Point well taken. There's certainly enough blame to go around.

ButteMT61

How about not muddying up a sale unless you have clear information in the first place? That might go a long way towards civility.

That's probably the best advice to take from the whole thing...
PM's would have sufficed, followed up with info on the thread.

a2jacketpatches

Nobody else is to blame at all fellas, Last week I assisted in an international sale with a guy here and I was simply on my way to another assist. Didn't mean to muddy a sale and it's a very remote possibility that it discouraged any potential buyer for a grand, very remote, in fact I'm willing to bet my left one non existent. And forgive me for, I guess what it seems to others, prying. Guess I just wanted to know why you say so, not just because you said so.

Really, my apologies for coming across as abrasive. My Father taught me that it takes a real man to know when he's wrong and to apologize, good enough for me. I'm just realizing it's high time I filter out all the potential BS in my life and focus on productivity. 2-3 hours of this crap could have produced that first felt patch I've been thinking about. Stay tuned in the Repro section............. :D

unclegrumpy

a2jacketpatches said:
Nobody else is to blame at all fellas, Last week I assisted in an international sale with a guy here and I was simply on my way to another assist. Didn't mean to muddy a sale and it's a very remote possibility that it discouraged any potential buyer for a grand, very remote, in fact I'm willing to bet my left one non existent. And forgive me for, I guess what it seems to others, prying. Guess I just wanted to know why you say so, not just because you said so.

Really, my apologies for coming across as abrasive. My Father taught me that it takes a real man to know when he's wrong and to apologize, good enough for me. I'm just realizing it's high time I filter out all the potential BS in my life and focus on productivity. 2-3 hours of this crap could have produced that first felt patch I've been thinking about. Stay tuned in the Repro section............. :D
Don't beat yourself up. It is pretty easy to step in it sometimes...we have all done it. Generally the worst is when your intentions were merely to help.

a2jacketpatches

I'm not UG, just sorry that this all got to the point where it's hardly worth it to join in on a discussion anymore. Until I see these sell on an auction site at 1000- I'm just very skeptical and I am by no means retracting that. I deal regularly and would not hesitate for a second to drop 500- right now on them but there's just not enough evidence for me to take the chance, and actually not a shred of "proof" as Van put it that they truly are worth a grand. There is no sale here to "muddy" and the reality will be found only by presenting the item globally on Ebay. The reason I was about to offer my Ebay Liaison Service instead of a 500- offer. So if anything WAS muddied, I'd say it was my good intentions.

BTW mr_litz, I recommend you auction them off with a reasonable reserve, PM me if you don't have an Ebay account.

Roughwear

I have just come across this thread and am saddened when members not longer post because of the behaviour of a few members. Another reason for the decline in posts is the proliferation of FB jacket groups, where people who used to visit VLJ regularly are now contributing. People do not have the time to be regularly active in all the groups and on line forums these days. For me the decline in the number of original jacket posts here is one of the reasons why I visit a little less frequently. Moreover I rarely start posts on original jackets as the supply of jackets has dwindled and it is also very tough to up-grade these days.

TankBuster

Roughwear said:
I have just come across this thread and am saddened when members not longer post because of the behaviour of a few members. Another reason for the decline in posts is the proliferation of FB jacket groups, where people who used to visit VLJ regularly are now contributing. People do not have the time to be regularly active in all the groups and on line forums these days. For me the decline in the number of original jacket posts here is one of the reasons why I visit a little less frequently. Moreover I rarely start posts on original jackets as the supply of jackets has dwindled and it is also very tough to up-grade these days.

Well said. I'm with you 100%. My interest in original WW2 jackets is what brought me here years back. Over time, they have been shared here less. I tend to visit and share on a couple other places more often these days.

a2jacketpatches

I plan to continue here in a limited capacity using the foe filter and suggest others do the same. If we don't like what someone else has to say, don't look. I think that and limiting my posts to productive threads will make all the difference. As of today I feel an enormous amount of relief as if a weight has been lifted. Didn't help much being stalked and attacked elsewhere on the internet but another simple click of the mouse and..........silence.

Just too darn busy to argue and feeling exhausted mentally and physically over the past few days. Really need to focus on my boy for school, martial arts training, business, new ideas, etc. Trolling this world for problems to solve is for those with plenty of time and not much else to do.

I think a lot of guys are moving on to FB just because it's the new buzz, the rest of the world is already there on these modern day social networking sites because of smart phone convenience. Everything and much more than any forum has to offer if you take the time to upgrade yourself.