• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BUZZ RICKSON'S B-15 C inner pockets rips

photo2u

20170220_173115.jpg 20170220_173123.jpg 20170220_173238.jpg 20170220_173416.jpg 20170220_173303.jpg 20170220_173103.jpg

Friends, I have a brand-new b-15 from Buzz Rickson with lining damage. The jacket has never been used. I tried it today to take it for a spin for the first time. However, as I
was trying to open the pockets the lining ripped from the thread seams. I am so disappointed with the company. I was thinking on returning the item to history preservation but their return policy with not favor me. I had the jacket for several years but I never wore it. When it came in was good but I did not check for the functionality of the zip and the buttons.
I have been thinking in options to repair the damage.

1. Take it to my tailor and have him repair the damage by sewing it back together using a lot of thread. Horsehide strips attached by sewing to cover the repair.

2. Glue the leather straps?

3. I AM OPEN FOR ANY ADVICE PLEASE.... LOL

I have other pieces of leather that can be utilized for other options.

Attachments

• close up.jpg
    close up.jpg
    1,002.4 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:

Aerosquad

I had a similiar experience with a Buzz B15 bought via HPA. First thing I noticed was the decal was missing part of the 'wing' and from there had problems with the zipper.
Contacting HPA is a waste of time unless you want to buy a new jacket. Any problems you have with a jacket you purchased from them, the Eastman representative has no interest in standing behind the product or products you have spent thousands on. Believe me I bought four jackets from HPA with only the A2 not having any problems. The decals
on the B15 are barley legible anymore on a jacket worn sparingly. On another jacket where the leather is still beautiful, I have had nothing but problems since the first few
months I owned the jacket, with the zipper and knits. Short story long ... I recently asked the Goodwear guy for help on the zipper and withing a few days he sent me the part.
I can now at least wear the jacket again. Still waiting for the HPA guy to call me back.
Moral of the story is maybe the Goodwear guy can give you some good direction on where to get it fixed. The HPA guy will only say 'Thats they way the originals were in WWII !"

chamboid

its an easy enough fix, and shouldnt be to expensive, the problem is where the seam has been sewn there wasn't enough material to buffer the stitch, rather than it being ripped it looks like the stitching has just pulled apart/un-woven the nylon at the end of the unfinished edge.

Rutger

Odd, I've never had that problem and I keep my passport and/or driver's license in the inner pocket buttoned up.
Well, okay, so it may happen to me some day as well.
I can see the frustration though.

photo2u

Thanks guys for all the feedback! I will continue to listen to advice from members. At this moment the tailor resewing looks like the top option.

photo2u

It is safe to say I will not be buying from HPA any more. Lesson learned... Check everything in jacket if you buy from HPA.

Monsoon

I bought a B-15C from HPA a few years ago. Tried it on, put it in the closet and only got a chance to wear it about five months later. I noticed that the inner lining was crooked and causing the left sleeve to twist. Called HPA and he said to send it to them to check it.

Yep, it was twisted. They got another one sent to me from Japan. Tried it on the first time, had the snap on the inner pocket pull out.

HPA: "WTF? You're kidding. Send it back, I'll reseat the snap."

Had it back in a few days good as new.

I've bought a B-15C, a B-10, and a B-3 from HPA and never had an ounce of problems with them.

Peter Graham

If it was me, I'd take it to a talented tailor and have them sewn. I'd stay away from the leather bits and bobs and definitely the glue.
Totally agree. Get it back to the way it came from the factory. You may well want to sell it some day.

devilish

Personally, I have never known Charles from HPA to be anything but helpful. I had a pair of BR chinos go wildly astray in the post and he went out of his way to correct the situation. Even before that he measured several pairs for me to make sure I got the right fit.
BR make on the whole, nothing but quality goods. Even the best mess up sometimes. However they can be a bit odd in the way they deal with customers. Even their retailers can have difficulty getting a proper response from them. I think it stems back to a time when there were a lot of fakes being made. The fakers would order spare parts and then use them on the fakes.
As for the decals, not had too much problem with my two BR jackets but they are notoriously difficult to apply and are very outdated technology. The originals wore off pretty quick most of the time too. One reason I suspect that the Velcro/patch system was adopted.

Monsoon

As for the decals, not had too much problem with my two BR jackets but they are notoriously difficult to apply and are very outdated technology. The originals wore off pretty quick most of the time too. One reason I suspect that the Velcro/patch system was adopted.

I think they dropped the decal when all branches of the service starting to go thru a single supply chain for flying gear.

Aerosquad

I have had many originals and never had the decal just wear off or be able to scratch off with your fingernail on a nylon jacket. They fade
but always stay. The interior decals on the jacket are gone and the shoulder patch is disfigured from the way the jacket bends. Also with the
snaps on the interior pockets, they are too strong and would tear the material if I just used one hand to unsnap them

regius

my Buzz Rickson CROWN zipper on my MA1 (only 4 years old, barely worn) fell off (the top ridge of the slider and the paper clip pull), the zipper still works and the facing and tooth all perfect. i guess the zinc/magnesium material is not strong enough.

Bombing IP

If it were me I would find some name tapes in white have a serial # stenciled on it and Fabric Tac it dead center over the split and have a tailor sew around the border .for the other side stencil with a unit squadron ,and do the Same . Would sort of look like field
mod with added protection and strength

Fabric Tac is a material glue once set ists as strong as hell but flexible .
BIP