• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best B-10 repro?

mezz07

Guys,

Thanks for the replies and information. could I presume the BR B-10 is similar in measurements for a given size? At this moment I believe the BR is somewhat less money for a new one and would entertain a used one from a forum member also, although I have not posted on the buy/sell segment as yet. In addition, would anyone be able to supply some measurements of their B-10? At any rate thanks for the information as it helps get me started.

Regards,
Don

I'm late to reply, but with Buzz their jackets definitely run big. If you normally wear a 46 order a 44. I have a size 44 Buzz B-10 Superior Togs with the berry knits and it fits very nicely. I'm 5'11 215. Their B-15s are even more forgiving in the size department.

Tim P

Eastman are very wearable and are unbelievably close to an original of the same contract that I was lucky enough to be able to side-by-side.
Pike are thinner so they are easier to wear in warmer conditions but still secondary to eastman.
BUZZ and RM are excellent and the options of brown knits and white collars are nice to have. Eastman provides best value in my opinion though, especially when the alpaca lining in some non eastman jackets is too coarse and actually limits movement.

Dr H

mezz07 said:
Guys,

Thanks for the replies and information. could I presume the BR B-10 is similar in measurements for a given size? At this moment I believe the BR is somewhat less money for a new one and would entertain a used one from a forum member also, although I have not posted on the buy/sell segment as yet. In addition, would anyone be able to supply some measurements of their B-10? At any rate thanks for the information as it helps get me started.

Regards,
Don

I'm late to reply, but with Buzz their jackets definitely run big. If you normally wear a 46 order a 44. I have a size 44 Buzz B-10 Superior Togs with the berry knits and it fits very nicely. I'm 5'11 215. Their B-15s are even more forgiving in the size department.

PM sent

Roughwear

Tim P said:
Eastman are very wearable and are unbelievably close to an original of the same contract that I was lucky enough to be able to side-by-side.
Pike are thinner so they are easier to wear in warmer conditions but still secondary to eastman.
BUZZ and RM are excellent and the options of brown knits and white collars are nice to have. Eastman provides best value in my opinion though, especially when the alpaca lining in some non eastman jackets is too coarse and actually limits movement.

Tim this is an excellent concise summary and should help anyone planning to buy a B-10.

foster

Last December I was researching B-10's so I could purchase a quality replica. I decided on Eastman, as their length fit me the best. The Buzz Rickson offering did not get any longer past size 44, but Eastman's did increase slightly (as I understand it, the increased length in larger sizes is normal). I bought a size 46, and I am 6'3" tall and maybe 215 to 225 lbs (don't own weight scales in the house). Normally I take a 42L or 44L suit.

One thing I was curious about is the Buzz Rickson Superior Togs replica which has the red knits. I like the appearance of this, but I did not find any original photographic evidence of these, nor am I familiar with originals like this. I assume they exist, otherwise they would not be copied, and I admit the reference material available for me to examine is very limited. But I wonder if anyone knows approximately how many B-10 jackets like this were originally produced?

Roughwear

I have seen many original B-10s, but never one with red knits. I suspect original B-10s were never made with such contrasting knits in the War.

foster

Personally, I'd like to see someone offer a B-10 with shearling collar.

Thanks for the feedback on the red knits, I am very glad I didn't buy one of those now! My Eastman B-10 is wonderful, so there's no need for me to want another.

TankBuster

I think Buzz recreated the "Red Knit" B-10 on the premise that someone used knits off an A-2 jacket to replace the green B-10 knits. A field repair of sorts. A far stretch at best. I do admit to liking the combo however.

Tim P

The shearling or white mouton collar is well documented. Bear in mind buzz do replicas of individual custom jackets all the time.

mezz07

According to Buzz Rickson a relatively small number of B-10s were produced during the war with berry colored A-2 knits because of a temporary shortage of green knits. So the color combination is definitely authentic and is documented. And since the colors look good together I think Buzz did a good thing here.

mezz07

I admit to a small amount of bias since I own a Superior Togs B-10 with berry knits. But the colors are historically accurate even if they were produced in small numbers. And authenticity is what matters in my book. Personally as long as there is documented use of a certain color I'm ok with it.

I've also seen some Buzz L-2As and B-15C Mods with green knits. Those are definitely a curiosity. I suppose knits from tanker jackets were used in lieu of proper blue knits.

Tim P

I am a fan of the contrasting knits. They are however a curiosity and a deviation from standard.

Roughwear

mezz07 said:
According to Buzz Rickson a relatively small number of B-10s were produced during the war with berry colored A-2 knits because of a temporary shortage of green knits.

Who at BR said this and what is the evidence for this assertion?

TankBuster

Roughwear said:
mezz07 said:
According to Buzz Rickson a relatively small number of B-10s were produced during the war with berry colored A-2 knits because of a temporary shortage of green knits.

I'm with Andrew. I've never heard of actual wartime production of this combo. If they have photos or documents, I would love to see them. My guess is that it was a field repair using A-2 jacket knits versus being produced that way.

Peter Graham

I can now offer some input to this thread as I've just received a used BR B-10. It must be the 'house' version as it has Buzz Rickson on the label but appears to be a copy of the same Stagg contract which until recently I owned an original example. This contract has a really nice pattern with sharply scalloped pockets and epaulettes fitted and BR nail it perfectly. I once owned a BR B-15A and was very disappointed with the alpaca. More like grey wool. The alpaca in this jacket is just the right blend and colour, and like the original, is itch free. I'm really chuffed with the jacket but I've never seen an Eastman although I prefer the Stagg pattern to the Roughwear.

Phantomfixer

Roughwear said:
mezz07 said:

would be nice to see something...but dont think it will happen...Personally I do like the Berry knits on the B-10...the folks at HPA talked me out of the Berry B-10...They said the sizes ran small.....my loss...

mezz07

This is from HPA's own description for the berry knitted B-10:

"Buzz Rickson’s offer a Special Edition of a rare B-10 produced by the Superior Togs Co., Inc. during WWII. Some wartime contractors were permitted to use reddish or berry-colored wool knit cuffs and waistbands on flying jacket production, the most notable being Aero Leather of Beacon, NY in the production of A-2 jackets, but at least one B-10 contractor also utilized this same knit color and this was Superior Togs."

http://historypreservation.com/hpassociates/buzzrlanding_2.php

I take HPA at their word. They state that some Superior Togs B-10s were manufactured with berry knits from the factory, not a field repair. I don't want to be contrary, but this is what I believe. I wish I could find more proof, like a picture of an original. If I'm wrong then the mistake is on HPA and/or Buzz Rickson's I suppose.

mezz07

This is a quote from Buzz Rickson's 2012 catalog about the Superior Togs B-10. It's translated from Japanese:

"The color of knit parts of most of B-10 jacket was the same color, olive drab as outer shell is. This particular B-10 jacket produced by Superior Togs Co., Inc. had red-color knit cuffs and waistband which were leftover from A-2. The suppliers needed to use the leftover parts from earlier models when the regular materials were in short supply in early wartime period.

http://bp-catalog.com/book/catalog.php?code=buzzricksons12&userid=yhk10123

Untitled_zps4c421d05.png