• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BATTLE OF BRITIAN FILM 1968

coalman

Watched this film for the hundreth time the other day( and yes I am that sad) and wondered who supplied the flying jackets for both sides?
Regards

John

Smithy

I think I've read somewhere before that the LW ones were Lewis. At least one of the Irvins (Christopher Plummer's) was probably produced by the costume department or similar as the pattern for starters is wrong (symmetrical collar).

And don't worry you're not the only one who's watched it innumerable times, although it's awhile since I watched it - must rectify that.

Roughwear

I too understand Lewis Leathers supplied the Luftwaffe jackets and most off the Irvins appear to be post War Pride and Clark style ones. I always think it is such as shame they did not use original Irvins and original or at least accurate replica RAF uniforms and flying equipment. After all some of the film advisers had flown in War.

PADDY_M

Plus there would still have been ready and inexpensive supply of originals then as bikers will testify to.

johnwayne

Anyone with Netflix can now watch come what may! Must admit, I've actually got in my loft a 'front of house' original poster for it - having worked in print and design the use the Nazi flag and Union Jack as inter wound vapour trails was quite dramatic.
The film also brings back memories for me as I was at school and riding home on my bike one afternoon when overhead I heard a 'drone' and in the sky above was 4 Me 109's in finger four formation!!
Cheers
Wayne

CBI

WW2 themed/setting films are becoming of greater interest for film makers again.

Smithy

It'll be interesting to see who supplies the jackets for Sir Ridley Scott's upcoming Battle of Britain film!

http://deadline.com/2017/04/ridley-scott-battle-of-britain-movie-matthew-orton-writer-1202059136/

Great news that this is in pre-production. Jacket-wise if we're really honest, probably few Irvins were worn by Fighter Command during the BoB at least operationally. During the height of the BoB pilots were mostly only flying in SD from both a warmth perspective but also one in terms of ease of visibility in the cockpit. During the Phoney War they seem to have been worn operationally during the winter of '39-'40 if we look at photos of the AASF but there's some anecdotal evidence that some AASF squadron leaders forbade their pilots from wearing Irvins due to difficulties with visibility in the cockpit. With Fighter Command from mid 1940 onwards, Irvins seem to have been for the most part used on the ground for warmth whilst waiting in dispersal or generally knocking about. A 485 Sqn pilot (Spitfires) I knew who was issued with an Irvin in early '41 told me that he only ever used it whilst on the ground. When I asked him whether anyone flew in them operationally, his response was absolutely not, too bulky in the cockpit and too restrictive in terms of ease of looking behind.

Grant

Smithy, agree Hurricane and Spitfire pilots would've had no use for an Irvin squeezed into a Hurricane or Spitfire cockpit.
It'll be interesting how well Sir Ridley and his post production peeps solve the problem of portraying in CGI the large number of aircraft that met in the skies the summer of 1940.

Smithy

Smithy, agree Hurricane and Spitfire pilots would've had no use for an Irvin squeezed into a Hurricane or Spitfire cockpit.
It'll be interesting how well Sir Ridley and his post production peeps solve the problem of portraying in CGI the large number of aircraft that met in the skies the summer of 1940.

I reckon (hope) he'll do a good job Grant. Being English I think he no doubt knows and gets how important this episode is in terms of English history and how important it is for so many. I'm looking forward to see what comes out of this, here's hoping it's an absolute bloody blinder ;)

johnwayne

Hope it's not the mooted film about the life of Billy Fiske, the US pilot in RAF with Tom Cruise in main role? Yes he can fly P51's and apparently has two (lucky or what) but he'd be too old! Only trouble I find now is that when you know all the special effects are CGI it becomes almost like a PC game with someone else playing it, even lower budget TV seem to thrive on CGI now and it makes the impossible achievable but, let's see what transpires but being too critical. Whatever I'll probably enjoy it!!
Cheers
Wayne

Smithy

I agree the original idea for that Tom Cruise biopic sounded like it was going to change history a touch to spice the story up - in other words, crap.

Actually a film true to Billy Fiske's life would be brilliant the guy had an amazing life. Two time Olympic bob gold medallist, arguably the greatest ever Cresta Run rider (never fell on the run and his fastest time from Top wasn't broken until the 50s), saved a fellow from drowning in the south of France, was a film producer, was involved in starting the Aspen ski resort, drove a Works spec Blower Bentley and was mates with the Bentley Boys, and was one of The Few. He was by all accounts also a really thoroughly likeable fellow and displayed no signs of the slightest arrogance which can affect someone so talented and financially fortunate.

That's one of the reasons that original idea for the Tom Cruise "The Few" flick peed me off, there's simply no need to fiddle around with Fiske's life. I really hope down the line someone puts his story on the big screen and does it justice.

Bombing IP

Since the last election I have nothing but distain for the Hollywood crowd and music people . The ones that were going to Canada never went they are FOS .This is not because I am a Trump supporter its there behavior is similar to that of a spoilt child having a temper tantrum .

BIP