• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-10 Contract/Order list

Roughwear

Here is the list of the 15 B-10 manufacturers awarded US government contracts and purchase orders. It is from "Full Gear" by Aota Mituhiro. It is worth remembering that in the 1940s the US fiscal year the fiscal year began on 1 July and ended on 30 June, so I would expect production to start sometime after 1 July 1943.

Last edited:

stanier

Thanks for the post Roughwear, great information.

I wonder if it’s possible to find out at what point in the fiscal year were the actual contract dates, then when work actually started producing a particular contract and how long it took to complete production, then how long it took for a contract to make it through the supply chain to being issued for use, and where they ended up being issued.

Roughwear

Development began at Wright Field in October 1942 on the B-10 jacket and Type A-9 trousers. These garments were standardised on 22nd July 1943 and changed to substitute standard on 7 April 1944, when the B-15 jacket and A-11 trousers were standardised.

Roughwear

If anyone has the specification or Technical Order for the B-10 please can they post it in this thread.

Geeboo

1) There are 2 format of order no. One is AC 351. The other is 44-10097 - this also happens in other USAF jkt - Which of the format is earlier as cannot compare the last suffix in 2 diff. format.
2) Can stock no. tell the year/ date of manufacture ? What info can stock no. provides ?

Roughwear

The AC numbers are the contract numbers and those beginning 44 are the purchase order numbers. They are all from the 1944 fiscal year. I now have the precise dates of the contracts, including the completion dates, but not the precise purchase order dates.

The Class 13 Catalogue is a useful resource for stock numbers and the cost of individual USAAF items.

Roughwear

B-10/A-9 contracts

Unit costs: B-10 jacket: $9, A-9 trousers:$6 (See Class 13 Catalogue)

This is not a complete list, but gives a good indication of the size of contracts to the different makers.

Sovereign W11-107 AC96(41) 196k awarded 10/43 completed 12/43 quantity 13,066

Metro Sportswear W30-053 AC 531 $138K awarded 9/43 completed 2/44 quantity 9,200

Roughwear W30-053 AC 964 $127k awarded 4/44 completed 6/44: quantity 8,466

L.S.L Garment contract W30-053 AC 965 $202K awarded 3/44 completed 6/44 quantity 13,466

Oldin-Denis contract W30-053 AC967 $458K awarded 3/44 completed 6/44 quantity 30,533

Superior Togs Co contract W30-053 AC968 $120K awarded 3/44 completed 6/44 quantity 8,000

Albert Turner Inc contract W30-053 AC969 $222 awarded 4/44 completed 6/44 quantity 14,800

Goodwear Leather contract W30-053 AC 970 $70k awarded 4/44 completed 6/44 quantity 4,666

Dann Clothing Co contract W30-053 AC 971 $371K awarded 3/44 completed 6/44 quantity24,733

Stagg Coat Co contract W30-053 AC 972 $778K awarded 3/44 completed 6/44 quantity 51,866

Source: original award of contract documents

Last edited:

Carl

Out of the 18 contracts awarded for B10/A9 combo , I have positively nailed down the contract award dates and value for 17 of them .
Only one contract seems to have been for under the $50k , so that one unfortunately is not listed in my lists .

Carl

Updated contract list for all 18 manufacturers . The contracts for Bernstein and Excel could possibly be wrong , more research is needed to identify if they had B9/A8 contracts just to be sure .
upload_2018-5-22_22-39-11.png

Ken at Aero Leather

Great stuff, Carl
Not an expert by any means on B-10s but we did have an awful lot through our hands at The Thrift Shop but I do have one reference point that might help..........
Our A-2 artist all the time the shop was open was Paul Stagg, (google him if you want any artwork done) for this reason on every delivery we always looked for B-10s by that maker. They were very few and far between (% wise) which might be a clue to a possible error you suggest in the $$$$ value of the late contract? A very rough tally of the $$s suggest approx 25% of the output was from Stagg...........I very much doubt that
Evidence wouldn't stand up in court but..............

Carl

Was good of you to give Andrew all that info. Shame you didn't get any credit ....
Some people unfortunately are above giving credit where credit is due . I must admit i was pretty miffed off about it , wish i had kept that contract info and all the other info to myself now ! Wont be doing it again , thats for sure !!!

Carl

Great stuff, Carl
Not an expert by any means on B-10s but we did have an awful lot through our hands at The Thrift Shop but I do have one reference point that might help..........
Our A-2 artist all the time the shop was open was Paul Stagg, (google him if you want any artwork done) for this reason on every delivery we always looked for B-10s by that maker. They were very few and far between (% wise) which might be a clue to a possible error you suggest in the $$$$ value of the late contract? A very rough tally of the $$s suggest approx 25% of the output was from Stagg...........I very much doubt that
Evidence wouldn't stand up in court but..............
Ken , i can see the first Stagg contract value being correct , the AC-353 .
Ill double check the contract lists again to doubley make sure .
C

Ken at Aero Leather

Some people unfortunately are above giving credit where credit is due . I must admit i was pretty miffed off about it , wish i had kept that contract info and all the other info to myself now ! Wont be doing it again , thats for sure !!!

Hi Carl

This forum would be a far lesser place without your contributions, a year ago there were very few posts, even fewer posters
Nobody (well I hope nobody) wants a return to the "Does My Arse Look Big In This?" days surely? VLJ has become much more than that, and your posts have contibuted more than most to the pool of knowlege, more than mine have for one.

Ken

Ken at Aero Leather

Ken , i can see the first Stagg contract value being correct , the AC-353 .
Ill double check the contract lists again to doubley make sure .
C
I referred to both Stagg contracts (totalled) but in main to the huge one at the foot of the page "Value could be a misprint"