• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI LTHR BRONCO A-2 Jacket Review & Pics

Southoftheborder

That's the one! It's an absolutely cracking jacket. He did another one in russet with mid brown knits which was nice too, but that one above in the chocolate seal was the pick of the bunch.

Wonder if he still offers it? IMO as far as civvy flying jackets go it was the bee's knees and better than ELC's Air Comfort.

I tried an Air Comfort and was not impressed with it. I didn't like the wind flap which I have never seen on an original post war civilian jacket like that and which stiffens the front and pulls it down. I don't like the G 1 for the same reason. The padded body lining is what you'd expect with a jacket like this but it's got padded sleeves too, and that makes for a very bulky looking jacket. Again not usual on an original. The effect is more like wearing an Irvin than a civilianised version of an A 2 which is what it's supposed to be.

Some of the finish like the plastic buttons under the collar were not what I would expect on an expensive jacket like that either. It didn't seem to be as well made as other Eastman coats I've had in the past and the two I still have....

Smithy

The last Air Comfort I saw had very cardboardy looking leather which meant it draped nothing like a jacket from the 30s or 40s should, but that's a problem with a lot of the veg tanned stuff. A lot of wear might have improved it though.

That Stratoliner or whatever it was Mark called it, really is the best golden era style civvy flying jacket I've seen, just stunning.

Smithy

I managed to dig up a photo of the russet Stratoliner that Mark made (sorry it's a piddly image):

OqdNAN9.jpg

That was nice too but the chocolate seal version that Southoftheborder posted above was the one which I would have ordered.

Pilot

a VLJ member sent me a link mentioning saying Morten confirmed his jacket was made out of South African capeskin but made in Pakistan...
Knowing Pakistan and their import policies since approx 25 years ...about all products in competition with their local own domestic market ... I can assure all here that importing whatever is also produced in Pakistan ( capeskin and other goat , sheepskin calfhide etc... ) is almost impossible... unless you pay approx 300% import duties plus taxes ( again approx. 150%)... on the value the authorities believe are “the real ones”...
So surely... no imported hides... if all machined in Pakistan...
Anyway, waiting for the promised info...
Ready to visit the given production site...( if permitted)
Please assist to do so...
( I will be in Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad and Dhaka (Bangladesh) in June 18 anyway)...

Pilot

Morten,
you are here somewhere, I am in the Pearl Continental in Karachi...
Happy to meet you ASAP...

Pilot

I thought you were just in North Carolina??
Man your sky miles accounts must be stacked ;)
Left Charlotte NC last Thursday to attend La Ferté Alais...
Left Monday for Dubai and now Pakistan and Bangladesh...will find the guy...
Always donate my miles ...flying C or F anyway.