• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Australian Made V505 A-2 Jacket (1943)

Technonut2112

Here's an interesting one I ran across... I've heard of these Australian-made A-2's, and have only seen pics of a few here and there over the years. This one looks to be in exceptionally good condition, and if it's the 'real deal', it could make a collector VERY happy. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-A...974873?hash=item41b6fe0499:g:QXMAAOSwknJXy0su

s-l160034_zpsrmyajcp7.jpg

s-l160026_zpss0pg2jli.jpg

Roughwear

I always wonder why all the jackets I have seen had Zipp zippers. This example does look to be in very well preserved condition.

Silver Surfer

i read some years ago that it is believed that those oz a-2s were made of roo hide. apparently, the stuff is naturally soft and supple, and tough as nails.

Andrew

I have one of these. Pretty scarce creatures and mine's also a small size. It's patched to the the 2nd Bomb Sqn 22nd Bomb Group "the Red Raiders" and has the feint remains of the Red Viking head painted on the back.
I have the feeling it's possibly Goat due to the texture but then who knows, it's not that obvious. It's probably just Cow and I really doubt it was anything more exotic as they wouldn't have seen Kangaroos as a commercial product back then. The leather is actually a little spongy and delicate as evidenced by a tiny tear in the leather around one of the leather collar snaps where it gave way before the stud did.

The lining is great, just a cotton drill as used on locally made shirts. It does have the standard zip which is seen on everything made here from flying gloves to flying helmets. Nice piece.

Roughwear

I suspect it is made from cow hide as the pebble finish which is typical of goatskin is quite irregular, with smooth areas which you do not find on goatskin.