• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anything and Everything A-1

Persimmon

Jaguar46 said:
wheat1479 said:
I have an aero oil pull jacket and it started to get that sueded feel to it.I put a combination of lanolin and beeswax on it and it didnt feel dry or suede like after that,but didnt alter the color either.

Examining the surface features of this already worn and used hide makes me wonder how the surface could become like suede? Anyone have any pictures of a "sueded" oil pull hide?

John Lever said:
I had oil pull steer hide version, when it wore and sueded it went slightly pink looking. Got shot of it straight away.

How does one get "shot" of something?

Addendum: I did look it up but it it an unknown usage of the word in my neck of the woods.

I managed to sell it very quickly.....

John Lever

To get ' shot 'of it means to get rid of it. it's probably an old Royal Navy term, most are.
e.g. the devil to pay [and no tar hot]
The devil being the junction between the deck and hull of an 18th. century ship, similarly between the devil and the deep blue sea.[no where to go]
I could go on ....

Dr H

Sea change...
Had to change that when writing an chapter for an American book (apparently wouldn't have been understood)...

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
  • Pull-up or Oil Tanned Leather

Definition: Chrome tanned top-grain leather. The leather is infused with aniline dye that is "floating" in an oil mix. This means the dye is not bound to the leather. Rather it can move inside the hide, showing areas of color loss when stretched, scratched or scuffed. This leather is often called distressed or referred to as the "bomber jacket look."

Attributes: The leather has a certain classic aged look. Again, the dyes accentuate the natural beauty of the leather, and because it's the top-grain, this leather has plenty of physical durability.

Advantages: The look and feel of the leather is intended to be distressed which works beautifully in a rustic setting, rapidly developing a well-worn look. The distressing effect helps to conceal stains. Because it's intended to be distressed, staining and fading is less of an issue.

Disadvantages: Scratches easily. It will absorb stains and lose its color from UV exposure. It is very porous and will absorb body oils, etc more readily.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/5064430

fleet16b

fleet16b said:
bseal

Who make that A-1?
It's fantastic

Well well isn't life funny sometimes :eek:
When I first made the comment above I never dreamed that I would someday own the jacket I was comment about :(
However, that is just what has happened. :D
As can be seen in the tread Goodwear was commissioned by bseal to make the jacket.
Eventually it changed hands and Drh became the owner.
Now here is where it gets funny, I thought Doctors were suppose to cure diseases not make them worse :lol:
Drh contacted me and offered the jacket and it could not have been at a worse tme as I just spent big $$ on windows for the house(being installed as I write)
Well after much scrambling to juggle # and encouragement from my wife( she wears an I.F.G1) I obtained the jacket :D
I would like to publically thank Drh for all his help and for the initial offer . A true gentleman and a pleasure to do business with.
And so the stable has one more :

ELC ROUGHWEAR 1401 A2
ELC B of B IRVIN
PRTIZKER 55J14 G-1 (approx 1947)
I.F. G-1(AGE UNKNOWN)
BELSTAFF 1920's Amelia Earhart Jacket ( one actually used in the movie "Amelia")
LINKS IRVIN (EARLY VERSION) ( was owned by a Lancaster Pilot RCAF 28 missions)
GOOWEAR A-1

bseal

That looks great. I like the hide. Is this one of John's creations?

Good eye. Thanks. Yes, John was remarkably accommodating for my specs.

This civilian A-1 design was in the works for a few years. It's his Vermont Espresso Horween but in the thinnest possible hide and weight. It's quite likely one of his very last jackets in this particular leather--he is unsure if he can restock it.

The lining is a broadcloth shirting fabric, the buttons are Corozo, and the knits are from MASH.

The "jacket" is really just a leather shirt, it weighs equal or less than the ELC capeskin A-1.

Last edited:

bseal

The first image posted is closest to the normal hue as the picture was taken outside in natural light. I requested and received a garment with plenty of grain and natural scars. Kudos to John for being so willing to try something different and deviate from his current A-1 offering.

bseal

Thanks!

I have previously owned multiple versions of the A-1 from Aeroleather, ELC, GW, Willis & Geiger, Lost Worlds and US Authentic. They have been capeskin, horsehide and goatskin. The colors have run the gamut from russet to seal, and even olive.

This one though, is by far and away my absolute favorite.

John graciously worked with me to synthesize all of my preferences into one. He's an incredible listener, artist and dear friend.

If anyone is interested, I have a rock solid GW A-1 in his current capeskin size 46 (no modifications) that I am willing to move at a very fair price, please PM for details.

Last edited:

CBI

this is a very nice A-1-ish jacket. I love the leather which does look super lightweight. I have a GW A-1 in Vermont Espresso HH that must be a slightly heavier weight hide but still very thin. I toyed with listing it for sale but I will see how much wear I get out of it after another year. Its always been one of my faves). Your jacket is the typical JC super high standard. I hope we can see fit pics. I'm not 100% liking the vertical stitching on the front but that's just me. Really glad to see John adding (hopefully) some more styles to his already huge catalog! Must have been fun planning this with him.