• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

any Fried Ostermann A2 to share ?

Skip

That would be something to see. Like their m422a it has some unique features.

Geeboo

Tks for posting that.
It is the 1st time I see a rectangular Talon slider to be used in A2- Kwik is rectangular, but that is Kwik. Of All others Talon I see used in A2 all of them are fan type with a semi circle, whether M39 or M42, Brass or Nickel. That is also Why when I 1st see your GW retro Fried, this slider caught my eyes [ John Chapman made an exact repro based on this specimen], any idea about that ? or any other specimen shown in JC's CD or Gary's A2 book ?

Roughwear

The M-39 Talon with a rectangular puller was a feature of jackets from this contract, just as it was of jackets from the RW 18091 contract. There is also a size 40 from the same Fried Ostermann contract on John's CD with the same zip. I would recommend buying his CD as it contains an excellent range of flight jacket, both USAAF and USN.

Pilot

Thx for posting...
Looks very “ baggy” on the sleeves/cuffs and waist...
Almost like my recently ( for me at least) deceased BK 27752 RW...
Thx for sharing, was unaware of such baggy features for original WW2 A-2’s.

Silver Surfer

once upon a time, i owned an original f o a-2, and yes, i can confirm that they are baggy in body and sleeves. not at all flattering, in consideration of other a-2 contracts. real odd ducks.

2BM2K

Here is one being worn by Major Blanding of the 4th Fighter Group.

Blanding3.jpg

2BM2K

#post 10 - how are U sure it is a Fried Ostermann in the photo ?

It has extra wide leather tab on the zipper/windflap bottom.
It has inset arm seams.
By the shape of the pocket and pocket flaps.
By the collar stand and the position of the throat latch.

Geeboo

#14 Sorry I don't understand the following, can you illustrate a bit more ?
1)......extra wide leather tab on the zipper/windflap bottom.
2)..... inset arm seams.
3)...... position of the throat latch

Roughwear

It is most certainly a Fried Ostermann in the colour photo. If you compare it with the pictures I posted of an original you will see it is from this maker. No other Wartime maker had the extra wide leather tab at the bottom of the zipper.

2BM2K

#2 Most A2 contracts have the arm seam aligned with the jacket side seam. A few contracts have the arm forward of the side seam, sometimes called inset seam.
#1 This bit of leather is wider than found on most other contracts;

FO6.JPG

#3 The collar stand does not continue onto the windflap;

Collar Details.jpg

Pilot

Great...Perfect!!!..Happy that nobody worries anymore about my deceased wide bodied BK A-2 anymore...Perfect...:-:) :) :)
Thx for sharing the pics of the FO A-2 jacket...Great jacket...

Last edited: