• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another restoration finished

Peter Graham

This was a junk shop find. A M-1917 Remington bayonet as used on the M-1917 American Enfield rifle. It was a sorry site when I got it but I knew it had potential. A few hours work with wire wool and a rub over with oil brought the bayonet up nicely. I took off the grips, rubbed them down an re-varnished them. Even after nearly one hundred years the screws came out easily. The metalwork of the scabbard was heavily rusted but it came up well. Nothing I can do about the pitting but it's still sound. The scabbard is mostly olive green leather and a rub over with Pecard cleaned the crud off and brought up the green nicely. The M-1917 bayonet will complete my M-1928 pack nicely, as they were still used when the US army first arrived in Europe in 1942 and were still being used by non front line units in Normandy and beyond.

Before

After

Peter Graham

a2jacketpatches said:
I turned down a couple of those rifles a while back, wish I grabbed them now.

You should have. They're nice rifles and going up in value, or so I've read. I'm sort of half looking for one to compliment my bayonet but I hate the idea of having to buy a deact.

MikeyB-17

Came up nicely didn't it? Bayonets give me the willies though-imagine getting that stuck in your guts.

Andreart

Nice telecaster. I have an old lee enfield i bought in a gun shop a long time ago, got the bayonet in an antique store, cost me almost as much as the gun.

Andreart

MikeyB-17 said:
Came up nicely didn't it? Bayonets give me the willies though-imagine getting that stuck in your guts.

bet alot of germans met thier maker at the end of one of those puppies. nasty.