another original light colored a-2

Discussion in 'Vintage' started by Silver Surfer, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

the longer term members have seen this one, but there have been a lot of newbie coming aboard, so, i thought to post some pix of my original monarch a-2. for the most part these monarchs were made in a lighter colored horse hide. the original dec 1941 contract called for 15,000 jackets. they were odd ducks by way of having the epaulets placed directly over the shoulder seam. the sleeves were rotated to the point of having the inside sleeve seam actually lining up with your thumb if stood with your arms straight down. monarch opted to paint the brass zipper puller, and zinc stopper box in a brown color, while anodizing the brass zipper run black. this is similar to the m and some of the g series navy jackets of the period. i have handled several monarchs and most of them were longer and narrower then other contracts. my guess is that monarch patterned or sized their a-2s as they did their navy m-422 [also contracted in 1941]. i never researched the original owner, j.e. deyo. however, the jacket has an interesting modern history. i purchased this one from grant about 15 years ago, and some 5 or so years later, sold it to andrew [i needed the dough]. he kept it for a few years, and then contacted me asking if i would like to buy it back. that i did...in a flash. i dont know why, but these monarchs are awfully hard to come by in a wearable size,, and wearable condition. also, it is tagged a size 44, but fits as a size 40-42 long. oh, and the pic of the back of the collar shows the original light russet color. IMG_1662.JPG IMG_1663.JPG IMG_1664.JPG IMG_1665.JPG IMG_1666.JPG IMG_1667.JPG IMG_1668.JPG IMG_1669.JPG IMG_1670.JPG

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  2. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member

Damn, good to see my old jacket again. Sure looks pretty!

3. Lorenzol

Lorenzol Active Member

That is one gorgeous jacket! And it looks in great condition too boot.
    Is it common for original jackets to fit like smaller sizes than tagged?
    Thanks for posting!

4. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

It is great to see this beauty surface again Vic. Monarchs fit at least a size smaller than most other WW2 makers' jackets of the same tagged size.

Lebowski likes this.
  5. Dover

Dover Member

What a beauty! I bet you're glad to have it back.

6. Silver Surfer

dover, ya cant imagine. as soon as it went into the p.o. my asshole puckered up, and i thought "i just sold an irreplaceable a-2, dumb, dumb, dumb". often, originals have shrunk a size due to wear and tear, and heat. most often the backs rise up since the guys who originally wore them, wore the sitting with arms extended. shrinkage is not always the case, as i have a coupla size 40 originals that are really a size 40. with monarchs though, as andrew wrote, they are all a size smaller then tagged. vanity sizing in the 1940s? and yes it is a strong no issue wearer.

Dover and Edward like this.
  7. Ole

Ole Banned

does it have longer sleeves than other contracts of the same size?

8. Silver Surfer

oddly enough, the sleeves are as you would find on a size 40-42. when i get back home [thur-fri] i will measure them. another interesting detail is the length of the leather box situated at the bottom front. it is longer then most a-2s, thus the waistband is proportionately longer [top to bottom] too.

9. Ole

Ole Banned

if the sleeves are like 40-42 and fits like 40-42 could it be that it's a mislabeled 44?
    can you share all the measurements?

10. hippiepeacevet

hippiepeacevet New Member

Really nice!
    What does it measure from P to P, out of curiosity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Silver Surfer

i will measure it up fri -sat and list the measurements. reckon i should have when i made the post, but, noooooooo, why would i do that? [rhetorical]

12. Jonesy86

Jonesy86 Member

Now thats pretty cool!

13. Falcon_52

Falcon_52 Active Member

That's a gorgeous jacket, Vic. I can see how you must have been kicking yourself after you sold it. I'm glad it found it's way home to you.

Noel

14. R-975

R-975 New Member

A great-looking jacket. Just the colour and condition I would like to own. I like the colour of the knits as well. Perfect.

Mike

Brettafett likes this.
  15. Silver Surfer

as promised, the monarch measurements. front length: 23 1/2", pit to pit: 21 1/2", back length"26"[22 1/2" collar seam to leather bottom plus 3 1/2" waistband], sleeves as a tailor would measure: 25 1/4" [ shoulder seam to end of leather 22 1/2" plus 2 3/4" cuff], shoulder seam to shoulder seam at the top back? 17 3/4"

Brettafett likes this.
  16. jeremiah

jeremiah Well-Known Member

I know it’s old but man. I love the lighter colored A2s. They show much more Patina then the darker seal colored ones do. Sure they show where the dye has rubbed to the leather but that’s all you see when you look at it. Not like the depth this monarch has.

17. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Very nice jacket...
    My new target...
    One like this to wear!
    Enjoy your Monarch! Beautiful!

18. Stony

Stony Well-Known Member

Super nice Monarch A-2!

I used to own one years ago that J.C. put pictures of on his CD.

DiamondDave likes this.
  19. mazeta

mazeta Member

Gorgeous example, as usual. My apologies for the late response!