• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An experiment and a little homage

Smithy

I was a bit unsure where to post this as this obviously isn't a replica of anything from the war but for lack of anywhere else this seems as good a place as any.

I recently bought an aviator kit bag on which I want to paint a 4th FG boxing eagle but instead of charging off I thought I'd have a practice run first and here it is, my first crack at stencilling on a humble old H&M T-shirt. Firstly the duck design is a rip off of one of Josh's designs but I wanted to do a Disney character and I wanted something which had a lot of complex curves and a variety of colours to practice will. I also liked the idea of doing something about El P'sstofo (although this artwork is as far as I know entirely made up) as I really enjoyed that doco "The Air War" which had quite a lot of footage of interviews with Joe Armanini who was bombardier on El P'sstofo.

I owe a very big thank you to Ties who was extremely helpful in offering advice and tips and generally helping start me off.

It's by no means perfect and I might redo the yellow text down the line if I can be bothered as the only yellow paint I had was for light fabric but overall I'm really happy with how it turned out and it was a huge amount of fun to do.

GlWhOD2.jpg

Last edited:

B-Man2

Tim
Great results.....Would never have known this was your first attempt.
How was it done? Did you free hand the character of Donald Duck or did you use some kind of stencil on it first?

Smithy

Thanks Burt, the main design and lettering are all stencils cut out from 160g paper/card. The black outlines are painted freehand and the whole thing is painted with textile/fabric paints. It was a lot of fun to do.

Cocker

Amazing job you did there, Smithy! It’s very impressive for a first try.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Skip

Would have to say Tim, from where I'm standing looking at your image, I wouldn't have thought it was a first attempt, darn nice job that.

Greg Gale

Absolutely brilliant! If you could mass produce it, I know people who could sell it for a discounted price of 129 GBP per piece! :D
Seriously, it's amazing, doesn't look like a "first attempt" at all. One question though: How can you wash the T-shirt? Won't it come off?

Also, how did you do the 100th BG stencil? Did you actually cut it out of paper, or was it done "free hand"?

Smithy

Thanks Matt and Greg!

Greg, you "fix" the paint I used with an iron. After that it's OK to wash up to 40 degrees. For the squadron and bomb group text I used a WWII style stencil font which I printed out on 160g card, cut out and then painted. I dry brushed it to try and make it look sprayed and I'm happy with how it turned out.

Lorenzo_l

Hi Smithy,

If that's your first attempt, I can't wait to see what you'll be making down the line! That's great work!