• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero's Perry (aka unknown 1756) pattern?

regius

For those who owns the Aero Leather's unknown 1756, most likely a Perry jacket, please kindly comment on the body pattern vs. their 15142 or 18775?

Historically, it seems highly plausible that the same manufacturer tended to keep the pattern throughout their contracts and just make local changes (minus the collar stand, pocket flap shape etc). The result is all the Aero's fit about the same etc. (John, Andrew, anyone, feel free to correct me).

Now, Aero says they copied an original Perry, therefore it should be a Perry pattern and not an Aero pattern with Perry's local details. Based on the website photo, the body looks quite like a 15142.

On the other hand though, the Hudson Valley makers starting from Werber, may have all "copied" each other?

My experience with the Aero patterns is they tend to have wider's, slanted shoulder, and the torso flares out toward the hem (like a trapezius body shape), and with pretty slim arms. Opposite to a bodybuilder's shape with roomy shoulder and upper back, tapered in at the waist. My size 44 Aero 15142 has plenty of chest room but not so much upper back (forward reaching limited), plus slim arms, and a roomy waist, opposite to my build.

I also have an Aero goat (soft) 18775, size 44, longer in the body, roomier arms, but again, it's softer leather so it's hard to compare with the jerky HH.

I want to buy an Aero A2 (made by Aero) that has a different body pattern, therefore I wonder if this is at all realistic?

Roughwear

The 1756 was certainly made by Perry Sportwear. I can't comment on repro Aero jackets, but can say all the original Perry A2s I have owned had a sharp, athletic torso with relatively narrow sleeves. The Aeros a from the two contracts you mention had a more generous torso in terms of width, but was shorter with wider sleeves.

Silver Surfer

from my experience, the 1756 originals that i have come across have been a little shorter in the body. why? dunno. however, the rest of the jacket in that contract's fit, proportions and sizing seem to be pretty generic. i cant say what the aero-scotlaland 1756 reproduction is like, as i have never had one in hand. in the last 4-5 years, it seems that aero has jiggered their patterns and details on their aero contract a-2s, thus making them more accurate. i would assume that this would be the same for the 1756 reproduction. if i am not mistaken, aero will customize measurements for customers, so, i would guess that you can get a jacket that fits to your specs.

regius

Thank you both! Will wait to hear from Fen on if they have any A2 sitting in the factory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bseal

Rumor has it that Good Wear Leather has or had an original Perry in their secret vault that engendered their pattern.

Ken at Aero Leather

Rumor has it that Good Wear Leather has or had an original Perry in their secret vault that engendered their pattern.

"had".........he passed it on to Aero a few years back, this and two other patterns taken from originals way back in 1980s form the basis for our current (very accurate) pattern

regius

Which WW2 A2 contract feature the rounded shoulders? I'm personally a huge fan of rounded shoulder, the top of shoulder seam fall over the shoulder points. The Hero Indy has such shoulder.

regius

My Aero Scotland 15142 has such shoulders. The measurement is only 19" but the shape is perfectly droopy

Silver Surfer

regardless of fit-size, rough wear original a-2s [all contracts] are well known for shoulder hang [droopy shoulders], as against, say, monarchs, dubows, or doniger a-2s that square up at the shoulder edge. thats just how they made them.

regius

This question should engender a new thread but i think it's ok to post here. It's about alteration. During WW2, I'd think it's rare for airmen to have their uniforms altered? Because they'd better get it right the first time unless they are just unlucky, or, they can swap with another buddy (is it allowed??). Alteration in terms of shortening sleeves or taking in body would be rare for this reason? Or maybe not? Also on alteration, if I have an accurate repro altered to fit me "better", then unless the whole jacket is graded for every panel, then the result would be no longer an accurate repro I'd say?