• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

aero 16160

Silver Surfer

a coupla months ago a "what is your gotta have a-2" post was started. some guys responded with a desire to have an aero 16160 a-2. i posted that i have an original, and have just dug it out to show-tell. the jacket is a size 42 [actually fits like a 40-42] it is all original, as i received it. this 1940 areo contract is an interesting bridge between the earlier pre war aeros and consequent contracts. it was made with a collar stand, but no top stitching on the waist or cuffs. the 16160 is the first aero contract to use the the large ring snaps. this jacket being an early production, has a '39 talon with the hershey bar puller. also of interest, this contract is the only aero contract to use a brown [like rough wear] liner, instead of the more common mustard color liner. the fit is classic aero, but not quite as blousey as subsequent contracts. if ya see any white spots on the jacket, it is because it had just started to snow when i shot the pix.
IMG_1538.JPG
IMG_1539.JPG
IMG_1540.JPG
IMG_1541.JPG
IMG_1542.JPG
IMG_1543.JPG
IMG_1545.JPG

Roughwear

This is a lovely example from this small Aero contract. I particularly like the caramel coloured hide with its beautiful patina. Do you wear it occasionally Vic?

Smithy

Although I'm no A-2 expert, the 16160 contract is, as I voted for in that thread, one of my favourite contracts.

Many thanks for the pics Vic, she's an absolute corker.

Silver Surfer

oh yeah, its an occasional, real comfy wearer, without issues. though there are areas of color loss, it is easy to see that the original color was a light caramel russet. btw: this jacket was loaned to chappy [gw] as a template for his 16160 reproduction. glad you guys like it.

B-Man2

Vic
A real beauty and a real rare bird. Like every else I really like the light Carmel color. If only these things could talk , I bet it's got a great story to tell.
Thanks for posting.

B-Man2

Not many of these originals were made in larger sizes like 46 or 48. Most of them were made in the 38 to 42 sizes .I always admired the guys who have been able to
find a rare original and then be lucky enough to have it fit.

Persimmon

a coupla months ago a "what is your gotta have a-2" post was started. some guys responded with a desire to have an aero 16160 a-2. i posted that i have an original, and have just dug it out to show-tell. the jacket is a size 42 [actually fits like a 40-42] it is all original, as i received it. this 1940 areo contract is an interesting bridge between the earlier pre war aeros and consequent contracts. it was made with a collar stand, but no top stitching on the waist or cuffs. the 16160 is the first aero contract to use the the large ring snaps. this jacket being an early production, has a '39 talon with the hershey bar puller. also of interest, this contract is the only aero contract to use a brown [like rough wear] liner, instead of the more common mustard color liner. the fit is classic aero, but not quite as blousey as subsequent contracts. if ya see any white spots on the jacket, it is because it had just started to snow when i shot the pix.View attachment 2423 View attachment 2424 View attachment 2425 View attachment 2426 View attachment 2427 View attachment 2428 View attachment 2430

Vic. Can you post the usual measurements - pit to pit/ front and also back lengths /shoulder to shoulder for the jacket please.
Thanks
Alan

Silver Surfer

ask, and you shall receive. front length: 23 1/4", pit to pit: 22 1/4", sleeves from the shoulder seam to end of leather: 22 1/2" [with knits 24 3/4"], back length from the collar seam to bottom of the back leather: 22" [with the waistband: 24 1/2", epps: 7". shoulder seam to shoulder seam at the top back: 18 1/4".

Ken at Aero Leather

Ken, could you tell me if the Aero repro of the Aero 16160 is released? Still don't see it on your website.

It appears to have slipped between the cracks during the rush both sides of Xmas

The first sample is finished, but was not sewn by one of our regular A-2 machinists and was made with square corners on the pockets (in error) and the wrong colour stitching, it should be the same colour thread used on attach the label
I've attached a pic of the label (Cue those members with magnifying glasses)
Hopefully we'll have a proper sample in the next week or two

16160 Label.jpg