• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

aero 16160 on greedbay

Silver Surfer

i just came across what i am nearly certain to be an original aero 16160, on greedbay. if iam not mistaken only 7000 of these transition aero were made. the one for sale has all of the tell tale signs of this contract, as compared to my original. it will likely get sold on the cheap side, as the seller doesnt know what he has, and most a-2 guys will not know what it is. item3 142297817812. by the sellers measurements i would guess that thee jacket is a size 38

Roughwear

It's a rare Aero for sure with only 4,500 being made. Can you check the link again Vic as the item number does not reveal anything!

Silver Surfer

the numbers are correct, andrew...this time. its on the first page mid way down of a-2s in militaria. currently bid to $95.00

johnwayne

Really nice that and pity it's only a 38 but hope someone here gets it, looks a gem that's poss been stored for a long time judging by the underside of the pocket flap! Isn't this like what we've all hoped to stumble across one day from a not so well informed seller!!
Cheers
Wayne

Silver Surfer

it looks like the condition is far better then the sellers pix show. the color and surface of the hides are remarkably like the the hides on my 16160. the knits, and liner look pretty damn good as well, and zipper looks to be issue free. a note of interest, elc has made and continues to make some of their "original contract" [werber, rw 1401] a-2s with similar "war horse" hides though darker in color, which i would assume will lighten with sun exposure, thus over time, looking like the hides on the eb 16160.

Falcon_52

it looks like the condition is far better then the sellers pix show. the color and surface of the hides are remarkably like the the hides on my 16160. the knits, and liner look pretty damn good as well, and zipper looks to be issue free. a note of interest, elc has made and continues to make some of their "original contract" [werber, rw 1401] a-2s with similar "war horse" hides though darker in color, which i would assume will lighten with sun exposure, thus over time, looking like the hides on the eb 16160.

Vic - you are correct. My 10 year old Eastman Werber has a similar look to the hide on this jacket. The original dark carmel color can be seen under the collar and under the pocket flaps.

This ebay jacket looks very good. It's a shame about the split in the collar but overall a nice one.

Noel

Silver Surfer

ahhhh...the split in the collar appears to be a flaw in the hide itself. it may not go all of the way through the hide, and in fact, may only be a surface flaw. if it is a flaw that is deep and or goes through the hide, the new owner can simply [using amys leather glue] glue the two sides down to the back piece, while positioning the two sides to meet. its hard to tell via the pix in the listing just what is going on there in the collar. btw: if it were in a wearable size for me, i would be on it like stink on......with the limited amount of these aeros made, and for some reason the so very few seen today, i would rate the aero 16160 as one of the rarer contracts, and thus, highly collectable. i have one, but i know of serious collectors with extensive a-2 collections, that do not have a 16160 in their collection, thats how rare they are.

Roughwear

As Vic says the split on the outer collar leather can be glued back in place. It is rare to see such an early jacket with such well preserved knits and lining.

PADDY_M

Some TLC and that will be a lovely jacket for someone (hopefully at a reasonable price too). But for the smaller bodies amongst us!!!