• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 vs G-1 jacket measurements question

Abyss

Hi all,

I have a good idea of what measurements work for me with the A-2 style jackets, but no experience with G-1s. For a G-1 style jacket with the bi-swing back and gusseted arm construction, should I use the same measurements as with the A-2 jacket or make some adjustments to them?

Appreciate any advice shared!

B-Man2

Hi all,

I have a good idea of what measurements work for me with the A-2 style jackets, but no experience with G-1s. For a G-1 style jacket with the bi-swing back and gusseted arm construction, should I use the same measurements as with the A-2 jacket or make some adjustments to them?

Appreciate any advice shared!
Great question
From my experience there’s no difference. It’s just that a size 46 in a G-1 is more comfortable and has free movement with the by-swing back than an A2 46.

Dany McDonald

And, beside Burt's helpful comment, know that the waist (waistband area) of an originals USN G-1 can be way more smaller in diameter than what you would expect with an A-2. Some patterns were lets say, athletic in their geometry!

Ex: a size 40 can be ok everywhere but tight at the waist.

D

Greg Gale

Is your question about sizing or measurements? The same size should work, if you're a 42 in A-2s, then go for a 42 G-1. But, they will have different measurements, G-1s are usually narrower in the torso, especially in the waist - thanks to the bi-swing back, you don't need all that extra room like in an A-2 to allow for free movement.

Abyss

Thank you all for the very helpful information! Much appreciated.

Greg - I was actually questioning both size and measurements.

So, it sounds like the size and the chest, shoulder, sleeve, and back measurements would be the same between the two jackets, with the added detail of making sure that the waist isn't too small.

ButteMT61

I do think you can go a little less accurate on a G-1 due to the back. At least in my experience.
A-2's have eluded me, size and fit wise.
I just can't seem to get one that feels good, so it's off to the GW queue to have one made.
A-2s are the only jackets I've not been able to get either second hand, or off the rack without hating them.

Greg Gale

Thank you all for the very helpful information! Much appreciated.

Greg - I was actually questioning both size and measurements.

So, it sounds like the size and the chest, shoulder, sleeve, and back measurements would be the same between the two jackets, with the added detail of making sure that the waist isn't too small.

G-1s have a bit longer backs than A-2s by design.