• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

30's cossack leather jacket

Geeboo

another custom-made jkt - 30's cossack jacket in capeskin. :)
NOS engraved art deco side buckle, wood 2 hole engraved buttons, real horn white back buttons, hand-sewn button holes, period correct creamy white cotton lining.
note the differential between the sleeves and the front length - the longer the better for this style after I have studied hundreds of old photos of this style:)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    475.3 KB · Views: 614
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    492.1 KB · Views: 596
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    592.8 KB · Views: 523
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    994.4 KB · Views: 474
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    651.2 KB · Views: 510
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    677.9 KB · Views: 473
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    579.2 KB · Views: 423
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 968
  • Inpiration.jpg
    Inpiration.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 437
  • portrait campus.jpg
    portrait campus.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 464

Geeboo

Tks surfer. I am glad somebody appreciate my work. I just make for myself as a hobby at present. It really takes time, energy and money to make these jacket. To me, it is like athletic performance, maybe one day my fever has gone, I cannot make jkts of the Same standard again. Being amateur, it is a result of some luck as the final product depends on the performance of the tailor as well.
Don't take it wrong, i am a supporter of original vintage wear & has a lot of original items. But for leather jackets, the problem I face is FIT whereas I found many vintage jkts one way or another does not fit perfectly for me; and if everything is perfect for me [including condition], the px is usu. not ! That's why I go custom-made

Silver Surfer

agreed, totally, about vintage jks and the fit issues. i reckon that is why there is a strong repro market for 1930s-40s-50s jackets. and even with repro makers there can be fit issues unless a jacket is made "bespoke" [custom].

Falcon_52

Very nice. I really like the leather. The grain reminders me a bit of bison (buffalo) hide. And those buttons..wow! Those are a nice touch.

Noel

dmar836

Nice work, again. Those collars aren't the easiest to draft. Did you have a donor jacket to copy the collar?
I like this hide better!
Dave

Geeboo

#9 no, i don't have a donor jkt, but the dummy jkts really helped improve the final result.

Smithy

That's seriously impressive work. I'm also always a little in awe of you guys who make your own jackets.

Nice one!

Bombing IP

Love the buttons GeeBoo they remind me of Japanese flower ,I think buttons are a very important and are often overlooked by many makers . To me its the beginning of accessorizing and the identity of the designer skill to show he cares and is bringing his best to the fore . Today we have so many racks of boring clothing presented to us for our consideration ,its nice to see someone who cares about the details as shown in your jackets .Keep it coming .

BIP

Geeboo

Hi BIP,
Agree very much. It is more difficult to source old/ NOS buttons and zippers than the leathers. for amateur artisan like me, I cannot afford a bulk zipper order even if it were available somewhere. To leather jackets, I think the most important element is zippers & buckles [metalware] , next is button. A high grade stuff like Talon triple signed zip or Talon 30's grommet zip or Colt buttons really "upgrade" the jacket [they are really really expensive, even for up-cycle ones; and are esp. difficult to find the right zipper length and button color & sizes]. Many used thick solid brass buckles , available readily for leather DIY, that are "too thick" to be period correct for vintage leather jackets. Many 30's jackets used engraved ,art deco buckles whereas many 40's leather jackets used thin , solid brass buckles. Care should be taken in the using of correct accessories in creating a "proper" retro jackets, IMO.
It is lucky for me that I recently acquired a large quantity of art deco buttons that is currently used by Norshor or were used in many original 30's leather jackets - rare find indeed. I am glad somebody would have looked at these details.

Attachments

• 20170809_114435.jpg
    20170809_114435.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 244
  • 20s Levis Menlo.jpg
    20s Levis Menlo.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 256
  • 30s A1_1.jpg
    30s A1_1.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 269
  • norshor cossack.jpg
    norshor cossack.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 272
  • 1940'S TOP NOTCH STEER HIDE SPORT JACKET.jpg
    1940'S TOP NOTCH STEER HIDE SPORT JACKET.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 275
  • colt buttons #22.jpg
    colt buttons #22.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

Silver Surfer

geeboo, we are of like mind regarding original hardware, buttons and zippers. using those bits make all the difference in a reproduced hb, menlo, cossack jackets, etc. over the years i have sourced vintage colt buttons, talon zippers, conmar zippers, and side buckles for having installed in-on jackets made for me. in fact, steve sellers made a jacket for me using all vintage bits, including a brass talon grommet [rivet bottom] zipper, colt buttons, and art deco side buckles. for the most part. these details are lost on most folks, but for me, and perhaps a few others, excellent craftsmanship, and attention to detail turns a nice jacket into a special, unique work of art. glad to read and see that your enthusiasm for details is boundless. and yes, it is said that the devil is in the details.

Bombing IP

Norshor is a member here his name is fishmeok ,I sent him many buttons in the past and even some leather .He has not posted in a long time last I heard he was still making the jackets . I am in New York if I come across anything I will PM you .

BIP