• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 Wareings Irvin

Roughwear

Here is a recent Ebay purchase. The jacket is a 1940 Wareings Irvin in a large size, probably a size 6. It has clearly been used in the War, but has little wear to the fleece at the cuffs, hem and collar. The zips are all original and work perfectly. I have repaired the upper back by removing the damaged sheepskin and inserting two panels from flying trousers along with two seam tapes. This was how Irvins were often repaired in the War. It is now a great wearable jacket!

Roughwear

Thanks John. Wareing and co of Northampton were a pre-War maker of motorcycle gear. They had several contracts in the War for Irvins and other flying gear. They were a prolific maker of Irvin suits judging by the number I have seen over the years.

johnwayne

Very nice Andrew, and once again gives me thoughts on whether I should get myself an Irvin or similar!
Cheers
Wayne

Smithy

That's excellent Andrew, and plenty of room for a RN jumper or similar on really frosty days!